Question

Honor Student
fillerjeremy
Message 1 of 6 (173 Views)

hp pavilion -e187nr sharing RAM

So I bought the HP Pavilion e-187nr the other day, and to my demise it only shares 780mb of RAM with the GPU, whereas on the HP video info (in HP support assistant) clearly says it can share up to 4GB. However, I checked in AMD catalyst control center, as well as the UEFI and the BIOS, but I cannot find a way to set more memory to be shared. The GPU is an AMD HD 8650g. Thank you for help.

HP Support Agent
MechPilot
Message 2 of 6 (145 Views)

Re: hp pavilion -e187nr sharing RAM

[ Edited ]

Hello fillerjeremy,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how you are attempting to share more memory with the GPU on your notebook computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

For further assistance, I will need to know:

1. The Product and Model Number of your notebook computer.
  2. The version of Windows you have installed on your computer.
  3. The programs you are trying to run on your system.
  4. The maximum installed memory (RAM) on your computer. 

Please re-post with the necessary information, this way I will be able to research this further for you. I look forward to your reply!

Cheers! 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
fillerjeremy
Message 3 of 6 (130 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the help. Here is the info you wanted-
Product Name: HP Pavilion 15 notebook PC
Serial Number: [Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I am sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information.]

Product Number: E8B28UAR#ABA
Programs: Mainly games (e.g. league of legends)
Maximum installed memory: 8GB DDR3 1600mhz

HP Support Agent
MechPilot
Message 4 of 6 (114 Views)

Hello again fillerjeremy,

Thank you for the quick reply!

According to the Product Specifications on your notebook computer, the AMD Radeon HD 8650G graphics card can use up to a total of with up to 4206MB total graphics memory. What this means is that if you are running a program that only requires 2000MB, the graphics card will only use that allocated memory. With this being said, I recommend running one of your games and test how much memory is being used to run it. 

To free up more memory on your system, you can also run a clean boot on your system. This can be done by following this document on How to perform a clean boot in Windows. This should help boot your computer using a minimal set of start up drivers.  

If you would like to know how to change the on-board memory for your system's video, I recommend following this document on Changing the Amount of System Memory Used for On-Board Video. This should help improve the video performance on your notebook.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards :smileyhappy:

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Honor Student
fillerjeremy
Message 5 of 6 (108 Views)

I read the document you linked to, and checked in the BIOS as well as the UEFI to see if I could find the video setting, but there is no advanced tab in either of the environments. I had an idea though. As of right now, the laptop is using 1 8GB stick of RAM. If I were to use 2 4GB sticks, enabling dual channel, would I see increased performance?
HP Support Agent
MechPilot
Message 6 of 6 (98 Views)

Hello again fillerjeremy,

I personally do not believe that changing your system's memory from single to dual channel will increase the performance on your computer.  

Alternatively, you can increase the speed and efficiency of your notebook by following this document on Improving System Performance without Adding Memory (Windows 8).

I hope this helps!

Best Regards :smileyhappy: 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation