Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP stream 13'
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi

i was wonder if it possible to upgrade the RAM of the HP stream 13' to 3GB ? or is it possible to upgrade the hard drive (32GB eMMC ) to 64 GB ? 

Thank you

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Everything is soldered to the motherboard....the CPU, RAM and hdd all three so the only way to upgrade would be to replace the motherboard which will cost more than the computer did. 

Here is the Manual:

Manual

Nothing is end-user serviceable...it is a closed system. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Ok, I get the message, we cannot upgrade the HD. So, then here's MY dilema....I bought this stream 360 with an alleged 32 GB HD, although it is listed on the info in the laptop as holding 20GB's. Whatever, but it had windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Win10 when it was available and have since had to go back and do a complete system restore, which has wiped out any chance of going back to 8.1. My bad.

Ok, but when I completely restored to win10 (home), it shows that it takes up approx. 12 GBs and that's w ith taking off everything I don't absolutely need to have on there. I have done disk clean up and also cleaned up the system files as well. Now says I have over 8GB's open. Ok, so I set about doing all the updates including the big huge one that is demanded just a couple days ago. Main problem: it now says I don't  have enough room left on the HD to allow this update.

Been quite a few years (about 20 to be exact) since I've built a pc, and have only tried to mess around inside a laptop once and realized I NO likey to deal with such confined tiny spaces. So, if upgrading to a larger onboard HD isn't an option, would it allow me to use an external HD via USB? I have tried to use a 32GB "thumb drive" formatted in NTSB, the OS will not allow me to do backups or anything else that I need to do regarding the updates on a "removable drive". So wouldn't hooking up an external HD via usb be the same, thus causing  the same messages? I'd love to know this before I go and buy an external HD as I'm on a limited budget now and must pinch every single penny. Must respect and TIA... 

HP Recommended

Actually the best way to do this is to get a high capacity high speed SD card, put it in the computer and use it as the storage drive for documents, music, movies, etc. Post back if you are interested in doing that. 

HP Recommended

Hi - saw your posts re the HD and just wanted to say I have a 256gb sd card in my HP Stream as discussed above and it works very well, and allows me to back-up to it.  I am on win10.  I would suggest getting a good brand sd card though.  When the 512 gb capacity cards come down to a reasonable price I will get one of those.

HP Recommended

Hi - I saw your posts and just wanted to say I use a 256sd card in my Stream and it all works very well.  I am on win10 and can back-up to the sd card.  I will get a 512gb card when the price becomes more reasonable.  I would suggest getting agood brand card though.

HP Recommended

thanks for the info, however, will win10 allow me to use that when my hard drive is filled to capacity (20gb) with their updates and upgrades and nothing else? This is the problem I have here. With the fact that everything is soldered  to t he MB thus not allowing upgrades to anything, I will quickly be forced to wipe t he entire drive and go back to using 8.1 windows instead. With windows 10 forcing you to your updates and upgrades, there is little else I can do. I just wonder what in the world else I can do with this little laptop, otherwise? Sure, I can get an external drive, I already have a 32gb thumb drive (usb 2.0) and an 8gb thumb drive (also 2.0 usb), and yes, I guess I could invest in a SD card to slap in here too, however, I HAVE nothing on here except for the original win10 stuff that came with the update from 8.1 . I did a complete restore on the hd because it kept saying I didn't have enough room on the HD for the major November update. Now, it's apparently completed it's mandatory updates, but is now harrassing me daily with pop ups stating I need to clean up  the HD to have more room. I HAVE done that, repeatedly. I've got just under 3 gb's left free on here now. I already have assigned all downloads, pics, music, etc...to go to my 32gb thumb drive. I just have gotten into the habit of doing without anything personalized for me on this laptop, due to these restrictions.

HP Recommended

I hope someone can help. I have a sd card in my stream 11, but when the November update for windows 10 came out it said I do not have enough memory on c: for it, I need 6.82 gig, I chose to the option to us second drive, but it still came back with the same message. And like the other person I have had windowss 10 for over 31 days so windows 8 is gone.

Please help.

HP Recommended

Hi Tom, sounds like we both have the same problem here. I have had to do the restore's  on this laptop and because of that, have lost the ability to go back to 8.1 completely. Of course, I didn't know that would happen, so that's just  a bad "gift" from windows 10 :HalfEyes:  So, I guess I've ordered a 32GB SD card now for nothing. Gee thanks with the alleged wisdom of those statements, guys! I am currently waiting for it to arrive in the mail. So, I guess I'm basically totally screwed with this laptop....can't put a larger HD in here, can't go back to windows8.1 unless I buy it (not an option for me due to super low income -SSID), and WIN 10 will not allow me to backup or assign updates to a SD card OR a USB Drive, and I cannot afford to buy an external HD (not positive that Windows 10 would even allow that. So yeah, great HP, thanks for making a cheap laptop  that we can afford yet Windows 10 forces upgrades that this HD will not allow due to space issues....got me by the short hairs, what fun! Screw HP, they've been nothing but useless to me. NO help whatso ever. and don't even try calling any help line, you'll be sent directly to a group of morons in India who don't know a **bleep** thing, but at the least they"ll "be happy to help you with that problem" while they keep you on the phone for over a half hour or more and do absolutely NOTHING for you! Great, Merry Christmas to me. Sorry Tom, I guess we're just screwed totally.

HP Recommended

Hi

Yes I would be interested in how exactly to do this upgrade.

Thanks

Will

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.