installing a new hard drive on dv6000 (2207 Views)
Student
jstrat7804
Message 1 of 7 (2,207 Views)

installing a new hard drive on dv6000

has anyone had a problem installing the WD sata 320 wd3200bevt hard drive, when i bought this hard drive from staples i was told it hac a set cd, wrong, when i opened the box the only thing (beside the drive) was a sheet of paper in 30 lanuages

saying the drive must be installed by a profesional . and i have searched the net for hours WD shows all there drive drives but this one. going back to staples today and let them now that there IS NO SET UP CD..........

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 7 (2,194 Views)

Re: installing a new hard drive on dv6000

You don't need a setup CD, install the drive and use your HP Recovery Discs to reinstall Windows.

Post your full HP model number for more specifics.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 3 of 7 (2,193 Views)

Hi,

You shouldn't need any additional CD to set up the new HDD as either your Recovery DVDs or A retail copy of Windows will be able to format the drive.  A video you may find of interest is on the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYwCUejhEY

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
dbhclt
Message 4 of 7 (1,966 Views)

The Seagate HDD in my HP Pavilion DV6-2170US died, but the Recovery Disks will not work to install a new Western Digital WDC2500BEKT SATA drive.   The new drive has no installation CD or instructions. 

The Windows 7 Repair disk boots, the program calls for the last Recovery disk (6 of 6), the image is identified on that disk, but the restore will not proceed.   Error message says:  The System Image Restore Failed.  No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found.        

Substituting Recovery disk 1 of 6 at the "Finish" step of the above procedure results in this error message:  The System Image Restore Failed.  Error Details:  An attempt to retrieve properties for the backup set failed because the backup set is not in the catalog (0x80780003).      

Please advise what else I should try.

Thanks,

Brian H.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 5 of 7 (1,958 Views)

dbhclt wrote:

The Seagate HDD in my HP Pavilion DV6-2170US died, but the Recovery Disks will not work to install a new Western Digital WDC2500BEKT SATA drive.   The new drive has no installation CD or instructions. 

The Windows 7 Repair disk boots, the program calls for the last Recovery disk (6 of 6), the image is identified on that disk, but the restore will not proceed.   Error message says:  The System Image Restore Failed.  No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found.        

Substituting Recovery disk 1 of 6 at the "Finish" step of the above procedure results in this error message:  The System Image Restore Failed.  Error Details:  An attempt to retrieve properties for the backup set failed because the backup set is not in the catalog (0x80780003).      

Please advise what else I should try.

Thanks,

Brian H.

I think disc 6 is bad, you may have to order a set from HP.

You can order recovery media here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00810334&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Professor
Pankay
Message 6 of 7 (1,952 Views)

The Seagate HDD in my HP Pavilion DV6-2170US died, but the Recovery Disks will not work to install a new Western Digital WDC2500BEKT SATA drive. The new drive has no installation CD or instructions. The Windows 7 Repair disk boots, the program calls for the last Recovery disk (6 of 6), the image is identified on that disk, but the restore will not proceed. Error message says: The System Image Restore Failed. No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found. Substituting Recovery disk 1 of 6 at the "Finish" step of the above procedure results in this error message: The System Image Restore Failed. Error Details: An attempt to retrieve properties for the backup set failed because the backup set is not in the catalog (0x80780003). Please advise what else I should try.

============================

HP Recovery discs will not work on any non-HP HDD, you will need a retail version of the win 7 disc.

if you want to use HP recovery discs then you'll need HP shipped HDD.

||-Although I am working on behalf of HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.-||
//Click on Kudos if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

||-If my answer solved the problem please mark the topic as the accepted solution-||
Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 7 of 7 (1,948 Views)

HP Recovery discs will not work on any non-HP HDD, you will need a retail version of the win 7 disc.

if you want to use HP recovery discs then you'll need HP shipped HDD.

False!, I just replace the hard drive in my Hp G62, no prolems installing from recovery media,

That is a rumor that applies to very old models of HP notebooks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation