Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hp DV6tse vx069av

Windows 7 64-Bit

No big changes i remember, been happening for a long time.

My keyboard acts up repeatedly, mostly just retyping the letters "qwert" over and over again or hanging up on one of those letters or whichever one i typed last. Whenever this happens the calculator opens as well (laptop comes with a shortcut key for it, but it makes no sense because its 5 keys away from qwerty). While this is happening it makes the backspace button useless and almost always hits the mute button by itself. The only way to stop the letters is to tap alkinds of keys at once.

I've tried updating the bios

Uninstalling the driver and rebooting

Reinstalling windows

only other option is send it in for repair for $300 unless there is something else to try

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
First, you can check to see if the issue is hardware or software by booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, or doing this:
Press F11 when booting.
At the recovery options press SHIFT-D at same time.
In this window, if it still types, then it is most likely hardware.

How handy are you?
You may try reseating the keyboard, including unplugging and reseating the connector.

Page 65 of the manual below shows how to remove the keyboard. Please do not attempt this if you are not comfortable doing so!

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657339.pdf
I am an HP employee

-Bryan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
First, you can check to see if the issue is hardware or software by booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, or doing this:
Press F11 when booting.
At the recovery options press SHIFT-D at same time.
In this window, if it still types, then it is most likely hardware.

How handy are you?
You may try reseating the keyboard, including unplugging and reseating the connector.

Page 65 of the manual below shows how to remove the keyboard. Please do not attempt this if you are not comfortable doing so!

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657339.pdf
I am an HP employee

-Bryan
HP Recommended

idruiz,

Sorry, but it sounds like you've diagnosed this on your own.  Since you've updated the BIOS and software, this points to a hardware issue with the keyboard.  In order to fix this, you'll need to contact HP support and arrange a repair.

Matty
=========================================================
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

One other thought, since you say you haven't made any changes lately.  Spray you keyboard with compressed air, in case something is lodged under the keys, causing the error.

Matty
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended
Thanks, I'll be sure to try all of these options, including mattys to spray compressed air. It hasn't happened yet today but i'll let you know which option works best if any work.
HP Recommended

Took the laptop apart (only about ten screws so it was easy) and unplugged the keyboard, plugged it back in and it hasn't happened once since the day i posted on the forums. Thanks.

HP Recommended

That's great news!

Matt

Matty
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

1.You might have to check the keyboard settings if the language is set correctly.

2.If this steps still won’t work try and perform a System Restore to an earlier date when everything was working just fine.

3.Connect a USB keyboard.  If that keyboard types properly your laptop’s keyboard needs to be replaced.

4.Clean your keyboard.

for full details goto.

http://www.ithemesforests.com/how-to-fix-laptop-keyboard-keeps-typing-random-letters/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.