Question

Honor Student
laptopguy
Message 1 of 4 (5,606 Views)
Accepted Solution

laptop DV9500 fan is making loud noise ...

Hi all,

Recently I have problem with my 17" hp laptop. There is a loud grinding noise coming from somewhere where the fan is fitted.The noise starts after few minutes I start the laptop. I could not figure out what kind of fan is causing problem. Some people told it could be cpu fan or normal fan or it could be a power supply fan. Recently I have installed Notbook hardware control (NHC) software and suddenly I got extermely low contrast on the screen and the noise stopped. It never happened before. When fan starts making noise I must have to stop working. After installing this software I almost solved the problem, but still it kicks off intermittently. Could anybody tell me what could be the problem ?
Tutor
Raza
Message 2 of 4 (5,601 Views)

Re: laptop DV9500 fan is making loud noise ...

Many fans in perfect working order will simply get louder as the system gets hotter.

In this case, it may be necessary to move your PC to a cooler area.

Honor Student
laptopguy
Message 3 of 4 (5,597 Views)

thanks for help.  I do understand this matter. But the noise is too high with little vibration in the laptop. You can listen in another room. And before that it used to work normally since one year. Suddenly it happened yesterday. But anyway your comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Himanshu 

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 4 of 4 (5,590 Views)

The heatsink assembly in many HP notebooks is of inferior quality.  We know it's not the hard drive cause you don't hear the noise as soon as you turn ON the PC.  It's not the optical drive because you're not running the DVD ROM.  The only other component is the heatsink fan.  You need to open the notebook and check for proper seating of the heatsink.  The fan should spin freely.  Repair/replace as needed.  Remove the dusty bunnies that have accumulated over the years.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation