Question

Top Student
pshuff
Message 1 of 4 (94 Views)
Accepted Solution

m6 Notebook Hard Drive Problems

Hi,

I have an m6-1045dx Pavilion Notebook, i5 processor, 8gb RAM, 750gb Hard Drive @5400 RPM, Windows 8 (upgraded from Win7).

I've been working on setting up a partition on my hard drive to dual boot Windows and Ubuntu.  In doing so I found that, my hard drive needed to be checked with chkdsk.  After attempting this and locking up laptop, I ran the UEFI component tests and found that the Short DST Test failed while the Optimized DST Test passed.  What does this mean? Should I be looking at replacing my hard drive or is there a solution to the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Distinguished Professor
visruth
Message 2 of 4 (80 Views)

Re: m6 Notebook Hard Drive Problems

hi pshuff

Failure of the short Disk Self Test (DST) would indicate your Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced. If you can still access Windows, I would back-up all my personal files etc as soon as possible.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP directly with the 24-digit failure id, to have the drive replaced.

thanks

visruth

**CLICK "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" TO HELP OTHERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM**

+++ Click Kudos / White thumb to say thanks
+++ Click Accept as Solution if this solves your issue
Top Student
pshuff
Message 3 of 4 (69 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks visruth for your assistance, that really helps!

Distinguished Professor
visruth
Message 4 of 4 (63 Views)

@pshuff Glad I could help you. Visit the forum if you have any doubts. :smileyhappy:

thanks

visruth

+++ Click Kudos / White thumb to say thanks
+++ Click Accept as Solution if this solves your issue
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation