memory upgrade for HP 510 laptop (17726 Views)
Student
jaxbarton
Message 1 of 5 (17,726 Views)
Accepted Solution

memory upgrade for HP 510 laptop

I've been searching the whole site for about an hour to try to find compatible procedures and suggestions for upgrading the memory on my HP 510 laptop from 512 MB to 2 Gig.  I know 'what' to do (ie where it is etc) but need to know what is the highest I can upgrade to and if anything else needs sorting out after that.

If anyone has some suggestions or comments please help

thanks

jax

PhD Student
cnfrisch
Message 2 of 5 (17,690 Views)

Re: memory upgrade for HP 510 laptop

Visit http://www.crucial.com/ and run the free Crucial Memory Upgrade Advisor.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Grad Student
James_Cummins
Message 3 of 5 (17,732 Views)

[ Edited ]

Your manual states it has one slot and can take up to 1GB.  I've ran into this situation before where Crucial and other memory manufacturers' websites stated the same maximum as the system manufacturer did but often the system was actually capable of twice the memory they claimed.  Your system seems to have Intel 910GM or 915GM which Intel claims supports up to 2GB so my recommendation is to buy it from someplace with a good return policy in case it doesn't work or only half the capacity is seen. 

However, it is still quite possible that your system really does have a 1GB memory limit if it has only one memory slot.  If that is true, the rest of what I wrote is non-applicable.  Personally, I'd try a 2GB SOIMM just to know for sure but 1GB is the officially declared limit.

Might as well get PC2-5300, higher spec memory won't hurt and prices are so low that you'd have to get even higher spec than that to notice a price difference.  There have been tons of sales and rebates recently to make DDR2 memory dirt cheap but right now a lot of places are waiting to replentish stock after the black friday sales so waiting a few more days might allow you to find it in stock somewhere at a lower price.   Choose one with 1.8V spec, not higher since you can't adjust the voltage on a typical OEM laptop.  There are also frequent sales and rebates on 2GB PC2-5300 at Frys.com and Buy.com.  For example within the week Fry's will probably have stock of the part in the 2nd link again and either the current rebate will be valid or a new one posted to cover future dates.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=381&Description=&Type=&N=...

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5175606?site=sr:smileyfrustrated:EARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Message Edited by James_Cummins on 12-02-2008 12:29 AM
Student
chairman21
Message 4 of 5 (4,299 Views)

Hi All,

Yes, you definitely can install a 2GB SODIMM. I had a compatible DDR2 5300 chip in another machine, so I tried it and it worked. The BIOS will ask you to confirm the memory change (hit F2) and you're all set. Runs Vista 32bit and 7 32bit very well considering it's a 2007 machine.

Student
bdan123
Message 5 of 5 (1,882 Views)

2 GB doesn't work in th 510. just tried it and got 2 loud beeps @ POST. RAM error. goodbye $6 for return shipping
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation