memory upgrade not recognized (240 Views)
Tutor
loki6977
Message 1 of 8 (240 Views)
Accepted Solution

memory upgrade not recognized

I've a pavilion dv6405ca that came with 2 512 memory sticks. I replaced them with 2 1gig sticks and every thing works as before but the computer still sees only 1 gig total ram. The bios won't let me change anything but date and time and memory remap is not in the menu.  the operating system is vista home premium.

oh... I also flashed the bios to f.43 from f.42. not problems but the machine is still oblivious to the increased ram.

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 8 (234 Views)

Re: memory upgrade not recognized

Which brand memory did you upgrade with?

Was the memory you upgraded with guaranteed compatible?

Have you put the original modules back in to test the soDimm memory slots?

If the original modules still work then the issue is likely to be that the memory modules are not compatible.

See the memory on this Crucial web page

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
loki6977
Message 3 of 8 (230 Views)

The modules were Kingston and they are working now but the computer sees them as only one gig or ram total.

I,ve reinstalled the old ram and swapped slots on the new ram but each time 1 gig installed is the report from windows. 

could this be another Vista bug? I'm giong to install Win 7 if I ever get this sorted out.

Any hints gratefully accepted.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 8 (224 Views)

What was the result when you reinstalled the original modules? Did each slot work?  

If they did, then the Kingston memory modules are faulty unless you did not buy them as guaranteed compatible modules.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
loki6977
Message 5 of 8 (222 Views)

yes they worked. However I swapped slots with the new modules...If one was faulty wouldn't I have a crash due to a bad module in the first slot ?

Tutor
loki6977
Message 6 of 8 (212 Views)

update    I rebooted with each stick alone in slot 1 and the machine started and reported 1 gig installed each time.(used msinfo) The setup utility for my bios only lets me change date and time I can't even scrol to the memory line so I'm wondering if there is a hidden password to access all functions?

Tutor
loki6977
Message 7 of 8 (210 Views)

SOLVED  The 2nd slot was not seating the new stick properly. The old ram seated with out a problem but the new ram didn't quite make contact (about 8 times in a row!!). I finally noticed and did a little judicious pushing and it seated and I've my full 2gig. Thank you for you time and effort.

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 8 (176 Views)

You are welcome. Good job!  

I am glad to see you have it up and running as it should.  :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation