Question

Top Student
shahjada005
Message 1 of 9 (992 Views)
Accepted Solution

my cpu fan runs very fast

My laptop is HP 430.I bought it about a month ago. but now m facing a problem that my left side of latop become hot & the cpu fan runs very fast & emitted warm air. though i dont run any proggram when i start my windows.i checked  from the task manager & saw that my ram is using 1.44-1.62 avg. now help me what can i do now?????????????

Tutor
Theedude
Message 2 of 9 (841 Views)

Re: my cpu fan runs very fast

Got same issue as well about same time, one month after purchase, can't play with it, can't photoshop. As soon as it require a little CPU, the fan spin like crazy, the computer becomes VERY hot. And eventually, the laptop shutdown. Sometimes I get an ALARM telling me the CPU temp became critical.

Can't have it looked at and can't have it fixed since I had to move away and the store of purchase it unreachable. Even now, 1 year after purchase, I'm pretty sure my warranty is over and issue persist.

Intel i5 and it is useless because I can only use it for bowsing since anything else will make it overheat.

I guess one day the CPU will burn out and that will be the LAST TIME i'll ever buy HP ever again.

SPECS - BEWARE

HP 430 NOTEBOOK

i5-2410M @ 2.30GHZ

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 3 of 9 (817 Views)

Hello Theedude.  I understand your notebook is running very warm.

First, follow the steps outlined in this document to ensure that the cooling area is free of dust and debris.

I also suggest you update your BIOS.  Here is a link to the latest BIOS.

Let me know the result.  Have a wonderful day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Top Student
shahjada005
Message 4 of 9 (799 Views)

Can i update my BIOS without any reason? will it be helpful or i will face any problem.please let me know. My current BIOS version is F.33
so i wanna update that.should i??
ohh and the fan problem..uhh i think now its okk :smileyhappy:

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 5 of 9 (787 Views)

Hello again shahjada005.

I am glad to hear your fan is working properly now!  However, keeping your BIOS up-to-date is normally a good thing because the BIOS has control over a lot of hardware functions of the notebook.  So, there could be fixes for strange problems, enhancements for the way cooling is handled by the notebook, or new features.  Just make sure to only perform a BIOS update on AC power and follow any directions EXACTLY.

I hope you have a wonderful rest of the week!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

Tutor
Theedude
Message 6 of 9 (774 Views)

I am happy to hear that issue seems resolved with shahjada005.

Unfortunatly, it is not for me. I am using the latest BIOS update. I am also keeping it up-to-date. I am cleaning the CPU fan as well and making sure the heat sink is clean of any dust. After the bios update, I did notice that the device was more silent when standby but issue persisted when running "big" but working application or game. (What I mean is that the computer has the capacity to run the application properly without lag or delay, but clearly can't keep up with exhausting the heat on the long run.)

I am doing regular maintenance on it and changing the thermal paste every 3 to 5 months with silver based paste.

Tthermal conductivity > 7.5W/m-k

Thermal resistance < 0.06c/W.

This issue happens mostly when running a big application or a game. After 30 minutes to one hours, the heat becomes so great that the side of the computer can barely be touched and the top left as well which is where the fan is located eventually shut down by itself. On the next power up I get a Bios warning that computer had to shut down because CPU heat became critical.

I experience this issue with many games, Sims, Sim city and the latest tried was Settler II : Gold edition. I cannot even pass the first level since computer will shut down halfway. If later I reload the autosave. It will shut down again in less than 20 min.

The Settlers II: Gold Edition

Minimum CPU Type: 486DX2

Minimum RAM Required: 8 MB

Minimum Hard Disk Space: 40 MB

Recommended CPU Type: Pentium

Recommended CPU Speed: 75MHz

Recommended RAM Required: 16 MB

Released: March 31, 1997

Tutor
Theedude
Message 7 of 9 (771 Views)

I would like to add as well in case that questionning become an issue. The device is using Windows 7 64bits and is not overcloaked in any ways shape or form.

Please let me know if anything else come's up or if there are nothing else to be done in order to troubleshoot the issue.

Tutor
Theedude
Message 8 of 9 (767 Views)

As of tonight, I believe my HP notebook 430 has died either Motherboard or CPU related. Most likely CPU related as per past history.

I was watching a movie and halfway in the movie the computer shut down. The area where the fan is was hot as usual when it happens. Usually it happens only when playing games which I was avoiding to do with it.

Tonight, May 29th 2013 12:42AM, the notebook shutdown. I let it cool off as usual, unplugged the power supply, removed the battery, waited about 30 min until cool to the touch and when trying to power on again. Nothing would happen with it. Removed the battery, power cable. Then pressed power couple of times. Plugged the power cable without the battery and still nothing coming up.

I'm left with a dead HP Notebook 430 corpse. So much for BIOS updates and ensure that the cooling areas are free of dust and debris...

I cannot begin to describe how aggravated I am. But now it makes me very disapointed and it becomes very hard to express how disapointed and frustrated that issue have been for me and is at the moment since I do not have any laptop anymore. I am left well ... speechless ...

Tutor
Theedude
Message 9 of 9 (766 Views)

Especially that this tread has remained dead and inactive for over 1 year. Nobody commented until someone else with the same issue was complaining and was closed in a very short notice considering it REMAINED INACTIVE FOR OVER A YEAR... :smileysad:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation