Question

Honor Student
mstaiano1
Message 1 of 5 (86 Views)
Accepted Solution

my laptop will not shut down

I have a HP Compaq  Presario CQ60-240US using Windows 7 (upgrade from Vista).  Problem is when I try to shut down the computer just goes "logging off" and it just sits there. The only way is to hit the power button to force it off. I updated the BIOS and it still does has the same problem. Please help.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 5 (82 Views)

Re: my laptop will not shut down

That is usually caused by a driver or program which will not "release" and allow the machine to shut down. Do you have any external hardware connected like an external hard drive? Frankly, the easiest thing to do might be a reinstall of Windows but I would run a ccleaner scan, a malwarebytes scan, and also do a system file check by opening a command prompt. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Other tips:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01891350&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Honor Student
mstaiano1
Message 3 of 5 (58 Views)

Thanks for the fast response. After updating the Bios from F.52A to F.65 the problem was still there. Now the embarrassing find. I didn't see that a 2 GB memory card was installed of the left side of the laptop. After removing it ....finally shut down normal. So embarrassing. But I did find some malware that was effecting the IE9 startup time.On the bright side, the laptop is upgraded to windows 7 sp1, has all of the latest updates and working like a charm.

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 5 (53 Views)

So it had a 2 gig SD card in the memory slot? 

Honor Student
mstaiano1
Message 5 of 5 (46 Views)

Yes, that 2 gig SD card in the memory slot kept the laptop from shutting down properly. Your suggestion about checking out any external devices i.e. camera, memory, would prevent it from shutting down. Thanks again for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation