new laptop is wrecked ? (162 Views)
Top Student
DarkNation
Message 1 of 7 (162 Views)

new laptop is wrecked ?

bought new laptop few days ago and went to factory reset via the recovery partition, it stuffed up few times during instlallation and got few blue screens and was stuck on formatting so i formatted laptop to win xp then to win7 it still didnt work, after the format completes i get an error straight after the hp logo saying

Windows boot manager

File: \boot\BCD
info: an error occured while attempting to read boot configuration data.

and something like insert os disc and click repair

so i was able to fix this via cmd prompt

so then after i fixed that error now im gettin another error saying

file: \window\system32\config is missing or corrupt

the laptop doesnt go beyond the error im just stuck on viewing the error and iv even used my os repair disc and it didnt do help.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (159 Views)

Re: new laptop is wrecked ?

What model is this? Why did you need to factory reset it right out of the box? All signs point to a bad hard drive. Can you just take it back to the store where you bought it and get a replacement? 

Top Student
DarkNation
Message 3 of 7 (157 Views)

[ Edited ]

its a dv6-6134TX i5 2410M 2.9GHZ 8GB 500GB 15.6" LED 1GB AMD 6770M

i factory reset because for some reason when i had several browser tabs open browser would close itself same with apps/programs it wouldnt even consume near half of its processor or ram power i also believe the hdd is faulty and i bought it from ebay with 1year warranty so was just looking if there was a simple fix that'll work before i send it off to the seller.

also its brand new laptop its listed as new never used on ebay i guess due to them openeing the box to install another ram stick. and seems like they may have put in a faulty hdd  if this model doesnt ussually come with 500gb hdd @ 7200rpm.

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 7 (139 Views)

Hi,

Why you need to use factory reset for a laptop which is only few days old ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Provost
Huffer
Message 5 of 7 (127 Views)

500 gb was standard but not sure if it was 7200, likely not. Also was standard with 4 gigs....looks like your ebay seller did a little upgrading and may have swapped in a used hard drive. New laptops do every once in a great while come with a bad hard drive. Can you run the BIOS hard drive fitness test? Tap F10 as you power on to get into the BIOS setup and look for a hard drive test and run the long form. See what it says.

Top Student
DarkNation
Message 6 of 7 (114 Views)

i just sent the HDD out from the laptop to seller for an replacement, anyways thanks for trying to help me out.

Student
saf6uk
Message 7 of 7 (42 Views)

I have the same problem with my hp laptop pavilion 15, bought new from Argos about 2 months ago. been working fine then Suddenly get an error message - boot configuration data file missing....

have run a variety of system tests and all come up ok?!?!  will try again with the F10, hard drive test. but feeling v frustrated

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation