Question

Top Student
nevillecoppin
Message 1 of 15 (1,477 Views)

no sound through hdmi and no hdmi icon when cable is connected, Windows 7 Ultimate 64x.

no sound through hdmi and no hdmi icon when cable is connected,  Windows 7 Ultimate 64x.  All latest drivers (01/2011) installed  for IDT.  Plenty of complaints on the web!  Am I missing something?  HP's latest iteration of driver update did not change a thing.  Can I remedy the problem by reverting to Windows 7 Home Pro, which was loaded at purchase?

Top Student
cyberdog27
Message 2 of 15 (1,453 Views)

Re: no sound through hdmi and no hdmi icon when cable is connected, Windows 7 Ultimate 64x.

Is it an occasional problem or is it that you have never had the hdmi audio output working with windows 7 Ultimate?  If it has never worked, is hdmi even listed under playback devices when you right-click the speaker icon in the notification area and click playback devices? 

Top Student
nevillecoppin
Message 3 of 15 (1,448 Views)

Re: no sound through hdmi and no hdmi icon when cable is connected, Windows 7 Ultimate 64x.

I have never had it working, but t be fair, I never tried when the computer was loaded with W7 Home Premium.  Right clicking on the audio icon does not reveal and HDMI option; speakers and headphones only.

Top Student
cyberdog27
Message 4 of 15 (1,447 Views)

When you right click in the playback devices area - are the "Show Disabled devices" and "Show Disconnected devices" options checked? If not, check both and then does the HDMI device show up?

Top Student
cyberdog27
Message 5 of 15 (1,446 Views)

Also, what is the model number of your laptop?

Top Student
nevillecoppin
Message 6 of 15 (1,447 Views)

Those settings are available when I right click the speaker device.  Both are checked.  I have loaded the ATI driver version 7.11.0.7703 and updated the codec also.  Still no sound!

Top Student
cyberdog27
Message 7 of 15 (1,444 Views)

In Device Manager, under the category "Sound, Video and Game Controllers", is "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" the only thing listed or is there anything else?

Top Student
nevillecoppin
Message 8 of 15 (1,442 Views)

Model DM4 1063cl

Top Student
cyberdog27
Message 9 of 15 (1,440 Views)

Does your laptop have an AMD or Intel Graphics Chip?  And what did the Sound section in Device manager list? IDT Codec ? anything else?

Top Student
cyberdog27
Message 10 of 15 (1,439 Views)

One other thing.  Is the device that you are trying to get the sound to play from connected and powered up when you are doing these checks? If not, disconnect the hdmi cable from the device, power the device on, then reconnect the cable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation