Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Not even joking, I registered an entire account on here just to say thank you to [personal info removed]. Your solution TOTALLY fixed my CD drive, and probably saved me tons of money and annoyance from taking it somewhere to be fixed. It worked, and I would kiss your feet if I could through a computer. Thanks!!!

HP Recommended

lol, im happy :OpenSmile: that your problem has been fixed, anyhow, i can send you a pic of my beautiful hairy feet 😉

HP Recommended

Hi there. 

like many of you i had a problem with my HP DVD RW AD-7561S ATA Device with windows 7. after doing all kind of things going around to get DVD working I have done the following:

"safe this page in your favorites you will be doing a lot of restarts during this proccess"

1.- I deleted the upper and lower filters found the steps here (if filters are not found continue to the next step)

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

2.- I unistalled and reinstalled the DVD/CD rom by going to the "search box" in the "start" menu and type  "device manger"  

- click on device manager

-click on the arrow for DVD/CD-rom

-right click on "HP DVD RW AD-7561S ATA Device"

-select uninstall "do not delete the drivers"

-restart the computer.

-go to the search box in the start menu and type  "device manger" 

-click on device manger 

-click on drop menu "action' 

-click on "scan for hardware changes"

-here the computer will open the wizard and follow the instructions for an automated install

-you notice that the "HP DVD RW AD-7561S ATA Device" is back

-restart the computer

3 Change your user account settings: "to never notify"

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/

restart

4 go to Autoplay  by going to the search box in the start menu and type "Autoplay"

-click on reset all defaults

-click on the box "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices

-on the media options select  "Windows Media Player"  

ex: Audio CD [Play audio CD Using Windows Media Player]

go down the list making  "Windows Media Player" the default.

some may not give you that option like the following.

-Blank DVD [Burn data to CD/DVD using Power2Go] 

-Blank BD   [Burn files to disk using Windows Explorer]

etc.

- after that click "save"

restart

5 By using fix it we are going to take care of program glitches open the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

-in option 2 select "all problem areas"

-in option 3 select "Fix Windows Media Player video, and other media or library issues"

Fix Windows Media Player video, and other media or library issues

continue fixing other issues like:

"Fix Windows system performance problems on slow windows computers"

Fix Windows system performance problems on slow Windows computers

-do not "Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can't read or write media" yet.

restart.

6 After you have deleted the keys(if applied), uninstalled and installed the driver, lower your UAS, making "Microsoft Media Player" your autoplay default program for all media, Fixed  "Windows Media Player video, and other media or library issues" and other fixes. 

now you can continue with the last step open 

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

-in option 2 select "all problem areas"

-in option 3 select "Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can't read or write media"

For this step use a movie DVD

Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media

Hope that helps. i was troubleshooting for more that 24 hours, my system is now working 😉 i did all the steps a lot of times but what i think what fixed the problem was using the "Windows Media Player" as default, then fixing the program Fix Windows Media Player video, and other media or library issues then i used a DVD for the Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media..

😉 good luck and be safe. Kudos if this work!!! 

HP Recommended

my dvd rom Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561S ATA device  is not working properly

plz give me solution

HP Recommended

Someone else wrote this too, sill I wanted to say, no joke, I registered with HP just to say THANK YOU, this solution worked perfect and the instructions were easy to follow.  I just tried to use my dvd for he first time in ages to install Dymo software that would not let me download so you def stopped me from pulling my hair out all day.

Thanks Again!!

{Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

Hello. On my Pavilion Dv7 I also have a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561S device but in mine it was already deleted. When I saw this I changed default to DVD/CD-ROM because this was blank when I came here :P. Is this how it is supposed to be?

Please respond I really want play some new games I just bought. 

Thank you. 

HP Recommended

@BigBSTRD

The upper/lower filter registry should show the drive in device manager, but not in Computer with the rest of the drives (C, recovery, HP_tools, etc.).  

Is this the case for you?

What is the exact model of the notebook?

NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.

Does the issue persist with the changes you have made?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
I have and HP Pavilion dv7-1140eg (Pavilion dv7-1000 Serie)

The shiny one 😛

And yes. It does show in the device manager. And also in the Computer with the rest of the drives.
HP Recommended

Just to note, the symptom of the upper/lower filture issue is the DVD drive shows in device manager and not with the drives in Computer.  If the DVD drive is present in both places, then the issue isn't the Upper/Lower filter in my experience. 

The value for (Default) on my system with Windows 7 64bit has "DVD/CD-Rom Drives". 

My Windows 8 unit and two other Windows 8 units had (Value Not Set) for (Default).  I tested the DVD drives and they seemed to be functioning with varying disks that I inserted.  I would say it is normal and not required for any value to be set for the (Default) value since the drives worked.  There really isn't a need to make changes to the registry that are not documented in a solution.

I take it the disks for the games are not working for you. 

Do you get any errors? 

What happens when you try to load a disk? 

Do any disks load at all?

If you could, describe in more detail about what's happening as I suspect something else is at the core of the issue besides the upper/lower filters. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

When I put in a disk CD or DVD it spins a little and nothing else happens.

When I click on the drive it says: "Please insert a disc into drive E:." And some blue highlighted text: "Help me choose a disc"

Nothing special. 

When I instert a disk when I've clicked on drive E:, it loads for 1 sec and then nothing happens. I waited for hours and nothing happend.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.