Question

Honor Student
Alex93
Message 1 of 3 (304 Views)

pavilion DM4 laptop screen blacklight is broken even after replacing the screen

I have got a HP Pavilion dm4-3002sa Beats Edition Entertainment Notebook PC, and have had it about 14 months so just out of warranty. The screen stopped working about a 2 weeks ago. An external screen works fine via HDMI and when you shine a torch across the screen you can see what is on the screen so I can only presume it is a problem with the backlight. On this assumption I first tried installing updated drivers for the screen with no luck. I then fitted a brand new screen to the laptop and unfortunately the exact same problem was still present (screen working but with no backlight so you can’t see anything on it without a torch).  

I have spoken to someone from HP and they said they will repair it for me, however it will set me back £315. Considering I brought the laptop only 14 months ago expecting it to last at least 18 months (which realistically isn’t that long for a £800 laptop) I need some advice about a diagnosis or other solutions!

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 3 (290 Views)

Re: pavilion DM4 laptop screen blacklight is broken even after replacing the screen

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

This is a digital LED screen so there is no backlight as such or inverter. In the old days the problem you describe would have been the inverter. Where did you get the replacement screen panel? If the computer lights up an external monitor then replacing the screen panel should cure the problem you describe. The only way it will not is if the cable is defective or the ports on the motherboard or screen where the cable attaches. 

Honor Student
Alex93
Message 3 of 3 (284 Views)

Re: pavilion DM4 laptop screen blacklight is broken even after replacing the screen

A computer shop tried replacing the screen for me and when it didnt work put the old screen back on and thankfully didnt charge me for the screen as they were able to use it for another job. Since the replacment screen didnt work I can only presume it is a problem with some of the connections further down the line, does this mean replacing the motherboard of the laptop then or would it be a case of taking it appart and making sure the cables are clipped in correctly? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation