Question

Student
sjbeishline
Message 1 of 3 (622 Views)
Accepted Solution

pavilion g8 laptop hardware error - new hard drive needed??

Hello, I spoke with an HP rep and I wanted a second opinion. Here are the facts:

Possible virus(es) causing comp to be very slow and have error messages on start up.

Problems with freezing even in 'safe mode'.

Decided to do 'system restore' using F8. Followed steps, took 20+ minutes, COMPLETED. 

A screen said I can, "1. update security for HP and microsoft;   2. re-install any other software;    3. install any backed-up files". I selected "NEXT" at the bottom of the screen and then, "OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND". Now I cannot get anyhere other than "F" screens.

I call HP. A rep directs me to use F2, hard disk test. On quick scan, 1 Hard Disk Failure (SMART Hard disk is OK). On full scan, 1 Hard disk failure (SMART Hard disk is OK).  The rep asked me for a long code to determine the failures and there are NONE.  I go out to the main system diagnostic page and there are two failure codes: 303 (quick scan) and 305 (full scan). The rep wants longer codes but there are none. 

My question: Do I need a new hard drive, or can I just get the recovery disks?

Thanks for any help you can provide!   --- Sarah

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (615 Views)

Re: pavilion g8 laptop hardware error - new hard drive needed??

Hi Sarah,

Yes, it does look like you'll need to replace the Hard Drive.

Modern HP diagnostic error codes are 24 characters and this is probably what the HP rep is looking for. 

However both the 303 and 305 error codes would indicate a failing HDD - they are respectively, failures of the short and comprehensive Disk Self Test ( dst ).  This is also consistent with your description of the issue.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
banhien
Message 3 of 3 (613 Views)

Re: pavilion g8 laptop hardware error - new hard drive needed??

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Longer code (up to 24 characters) means the HDD has died. The 305 error would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced. Please backup your files/data as soon as possible.Is your machine still under warranty ? If Yes, please call HP for a replacement.

Updated: Sorry, I'm a bit slow - 3rd opinion then.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation