Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I just installed windows 7 on the hard drive after a full wipe, now that the software is up and running the LED for the power adapter will no longer show that the battery is charging and even if the laptop is off it still refuses to charge. I was going to run the BIOS flash to see if that would solve the problem but it says to do it with external power connected and I'm afraid to do it under battery power.

This is NOT the first time it has happened, the first time it stopped I had it checked under warranty and HP replaced the hard drive for what seemed like no reason at all.

Also, there have been intermittent cases where the laptop has refused to charge and unplugging it from it's current outlet and into a different one has solved the problem, but this time it doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

Any ideas.

Cheers/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

First of all, shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter unplugged, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for a full minute.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter and see if the notebook will start without the battery inserted, if it does, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and theMicrosoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and selectUninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the PC down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the notebook on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes without doing anything. Then shutdown the notebook again.  Plug the AC Adapter back in and Start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

First of all, shutdown the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter unplugged, remove the battery, and then hold down the Power button for a full minute.

Now, plug in the AC Adapter and see if the notebook will start without the battery inserted, if it does, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand the entry for Batteries, right click on and theMicrosoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and selectUninstall - do not uninstall anything else here.  When the uninstall is complete, shut the PC down, unplug the AC Adapter, re-insert the battery and then start the notebook on just the battery.  Windows will automatically reinstall the driver - leave Windows running for a few minutes without doing anything. Then shutdown the notebook again.  Plug the AC Adapter back in and Start the notebook to see if this has helped the issue.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I came across this solution after a Google search and was pleasantly surprised to find that it worked. I had thought that this was a hardware problem which would require replacement of the motherboard.  In my case, it had gotten to the point where the laptop reported that no battery was present. (I had been "fixing" the problem by removing and reinserting the battery, but that stopped working.) So first, thanks! But second... why does this work? Does the device driver become corrupt over time?

HP Recommended

Hi,

This sort of problem can certainly be either hardware or software related.  Essentially the ACPI driver is like any other and can be corrupted and simply need reinstalling.

Glad it was a software issue in your case :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks David!  I was really worried that my motherboard was borked.  I followed your instructions and all is well.  This ole notebook is still chugging along.  

HP Recommended

The small display battery charges, but the larger battery wont take any charge. I think, that Li-Ion batteries sleep after not being charged for a long time. Best way to see if it's 'sleeping'?

thx EZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.