Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

i have had to change my HDD and when i reloaded win 7 my battery indicator icon says "plugged in, not charging".

i have read loads of treads about this issue and done all of the suggestions but nothing works.

any help would be grateful.

i have uninstalled both

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

ACPI Fixed Feature Button

they reinstall after reboot

i cannot perform calibration as i cant recharge the battery in the first place

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is not one of the models with the BIOS designed to fix charging issues but is an old enough laptop that it may be as simple as a battery that just needs to be replaced.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Minimum requirement for us to help you is to identify your laptop. I know some of the dv6 models have a BIOS upgrade which is designed to fix a similar problem so if you have that model we could tell you "upgrade the BIOS", but without knowing what you have we can't really help. 

HP Recommended

thanks for the response

the machine is a Compaq Presario CQ56-101sa

its running Win7

i have noticed that it will for about 5 seconds show an amber light for charging then the light goes white.

HP Recommended

This is not one of the models with the BIOS designed to fix charging issues but is an old enough laptop that it may be as simple as a battery that just needs to be replaced.

HP Recommended

I have a 1-year old EliteBook 8440W that has a similar issue. The laptop was fine until it was not used for 2 weeks, due to a lost charger. When I found the charger, plugged it in, and turned on the laptop, this issue came up: 0% charge, plugged in, not charging. I tried HP Expert MumboDog's solution (from another thread) but uninstalling the ACPI Fixed Feature forces a restart (a pop-up to restart or cancel appears) instead of letting me shutdown to continue with the other steps.  Please advise.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.