Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone

I hope this is the board for this question.

I have a HP ENVY TouchSmart m6-k025dx Sleekbook (ENERGY STAR)  

From a cold state ( computer been off for a more then hour). I need to press the power button twice, Frist press the power button lights and the wireless lights and the screen activate with a glow, then black no lights and black screen press power button again and boots normally and fine No error or warnings

This does not seem to be normal and I can not remember the last time it booted from the first power button push.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try this document: Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating. Event though it may not be overheating (and yes it can heat up that much from a cold boot, I currently have this problem with my desktop just to cheap to fix it). But the document will guide you through "cleaning" the inside, specifically the fan and vents.

Also, I'd recommend swapping the ram. Try with only one in, switch and change the slots up. The Maintenance and Service guide can assist you with this if needed.

Let me know how this goes.

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @MrJimW, welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that when you power on the notebook, it appears that you have to press the button twice to have everything startup correctly. I will try to help you with this.

When you press the button, do you press and release quickly or hold the button for a couple of seconds?
Does this occur from both battery and AC power?
When you press it the first time, do you see Windows loading at all?

The way you've described it, it almost seems like there may be a short in the connection with the power button. That or there isn't enough "flow" with the first engagement to provide adequate power, but the second push corrects this. Definitely and odd issue.

Check the power settings in your notebook:
go to the start screen, type control panel from there click on system and security then into power options. (from start screen you may even be able to type power options to get to it). Make sure that you're using the "recommend" settings here.

After that test the battery: Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge.
The document I provided covers other battery related issues, but has the section on testing and calibrating.

At this point if you haven't yet power of the notebook and turn it on.

If after the first push you see Windows loading, then the blank screen and have to push it again. Try doing a Clean boot.

I will leave you with this to start, please let me know how it goes.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

HP Recommended

When you press the button, do you press and release quickly or hold the button for a couple of seconds?

press and hold until the white light on the power button lights and the orange lights lite on the wifi button and the screen glows, then the HP logo appares and then computer shutdown the lights go out.
Does this occur from both battery and AC power? Both 
When you press it the first time, do you see Windows loading at all? No just the HP logo

After that test the battery: Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge.
The document I provided covers other battery related issues, but has the section on testing and calibrating.

I have done the Battery Test from within HP BIOS system setting Pressing [Esc] and going through the menus

and the battery test out ok

Also I do not think I can remove the battery from this model as the link above talks about.

After the first try the second and any reboot from here works..when I shutdown for the night and power it back on after work the next day I need to press the power button twice like before. 

If after the first push you see Windows loading, then the blank screen and have to push it again. Try doing a Clean boot.

do not get to the window loading on the first push of the power button

I hope this help

Jim 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try this document: Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating. Event though it may not be overheating (and yes it can heat up that much from a cold boot, I currently have this problem with my desktop just to cheap to fix it). But the document will guide you through "cleaning" the inside, specifically the fan and vents.

Also, I'd recommend swapping the ram. Try with only one in, switch and change the slots up. The Maintenance and Service guide can assist you with this if needed.

Let me know how this goes.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your Help that seems to have worked. I will test tomorrow also to see if continues to work power up without pressing the power button twice.

I removed the back cover of the laptop did not seem to be all dirty inside, but I use that can air on it and put everything back together and power it up and came up on the first push of the power button.

every since I bought laptop back in Feburary I had a cooling mat with two fan on it. the laptop is always on that when it running.. just another point

thank you for all your help 

I will comment back tomorrow how things are going.

thank

Jim 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution.. taking the back panel off the laptop and using can air on the inside and putting it back together WORKED!!!!!!!

booted with no second press of the power button

thanks agin Futoji for all your help

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, it was a pleasure.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.