Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ur an awesome genius buddy,in all that u have tried your suggestion is the only one that worked.if you was next to me i could kiss you(no homo)
thank you so much
Godbless
HP Recommended

New battery received, PC is back to normal, charging immediately.

The conclusion is that we have an interlock of two bugs, both of a similar nature:

1. Charging: charging should measure every cell, not just the first or an average (I don't know which without reverse-engineering the code, which wouldn't be a friendly act), which can indicate no charging's needed.

2. Usage: the same again, measure every cell before deciding the battery's flat.

Can you pass this one back to MS ACPI support, please, Sparkles, as it's a fairly serious bug.

An improvement to the HP Battery Health Centre support program would be to allow every cell to be drained individually, if you can pass that through to the wish-list too.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

My computer is an HP Sleek Book Pavilion.  I had the same problem however I found the left battery lock was not in the lock position once I slide it into lock it started to charge. 

HP Recommended
my laptop is charging when it is off. but when it is on it shows that "plugged in, not charging".
I tried suggested battery removal, uninstall battery driver in device manager, then power off, then power on. but not getting any solution. still showing that message
HP Recommended

Sounds like you'll have to change the battery, then. If it's a couple of years old, one of the cells in it might have died - the rest give an indication the thing's fine. Inexperienced MS prgramming is at root - they look on the battery as a single cell.

HP Recommended

Its very easy guys... Problem Solved.. Just Update your Bios.. it will be fixed

HP Recommended

It is very easy easy Go to
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=4097215
Select your Laptop product name
Select your windows...
then it will automatically take u there...
then scroll sown to Bios and download the latest bios.. It will be "F.50" (8 Jul 2014)
then Just Intall... (Make Sure your charger is connected during installation)
Very Easy
Problem Soved!!! 🙂

HP Recommended

Sorry, Leo, I have to correct you because you're only partly right.

We have discovered a number of different problems, and only have a part heirarchy of solutions so far.

As you say, one of the first things to try is indeed your solution. I tried that, but it didn't solve the problem.

The next thing i did was get a new battery, and that fixed it.

The outstanding need to be addressed is what caused it. The physical reality is that the battery contains four cells, and the failure of any one of them could stop the battery working, if they were wired in series. However, I don't think HP do that, as they can certainly monitor the charge in each. What's happening is that one piece of software is monitoring the maximum charge on the fourr, and another the minimum, so the latter says "this battery needs charging" and the former says "it's fully charged" which is indeed the case, cell by cell: one had failed, the other was full, but the PC used the former and wouldn't start. It's just poor programming, mostly because they should have gone for a battery "driver" designed by the maker to handle it for them. And that is what isn't being addressed, at least in Windows 8

HP Recommended

connect the adopter power on the laptop . go to hp site and dounlode the same model new virsion BIOS install the BIOS than chack it ...

NOT:---make sure whan run the BIOS utility adoptr is connected to the laptop.

HP Recommended

Yes!!! this was totally the problem. I have a 6 mo. old HP 350 and was getting the "plugged in, not charging" message, stuck @ 15%.  Read this reply, checked the adapter plug, and BAM! bent center pin. Straightened it out (yes with good light tweezers and magnifying glass.) Now @ 40%, "plugged in,charging."

I was surprised to find this, as I try to be very carefull with the AC plug (was the downfall of my wife's old laptop, dragging the power brick around the house, thus ripping the plug off the MOBO.

Quality of plug/center pin seems low. This tiny pin must be the "feedback connection" of the charging system, your plug might be different, but pay attention to all the connections on your charging plug

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.