Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HI @Spike001, 

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a terrific place to find assistance and information!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I understand that when running Windows if the battery is not less then 79% it does not charge but it starts charging once it has reached that percentage.

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 8 that may help.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Will this work if the battery has  almost full charge?

HP Recommended

Hi @ittiboocoo 

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a fantastic  place to find answers and suggestions
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

Yes you can test and calibrate the battery at any time.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi Sparkles1,

I own two HP Elitebooks, an 8460p and 8760w. On both machines, the battery shows as "0% available (plugged in, not charging)". For reference, I'm using the factory HP charger (right voltage, amperage)

I've tried the recommended BIOS update for both machines, uninstalling the drivers for the ACPI battery devices via the control panel, power cycling, etc. On both machines, I believe the problem initially appeared after the battery discharged from being left off for an extended period of time.

On the 8460p I tried charging the battery  externally with a spare adapter stripped to the bare wire, with the hot and common leads inserted in the terminals. After replacing the battery, the fix did register, but the computer was still unable to charge the battery.

Would you have any further suggestions? I've tried posting in the commercial forums, but the thread never received any traction or attention. This thread seems to still be alive however, so I thought I'd try here. Seems to be a common defect with the HP Elitebook series notebooks.

HP Recommended

u can't do what u tried. the chg is controlled internal to laptop and the batt myst see a grd on one of the pins to accept the chg.

My issue was solved when I replaced the batt. SO the problem appears to be that the batt test programs r defective and not the laptop. I would expect my batt to go bad but kept looking for another issue b/c the prog (2 of them) kept saying it was good.

HP Recommended

Hi All

I had this same problem on my HP -350 laptop.

I tried everything to resolve it, and finally found the problem.

On my ac adaptor where it plugs into the laptop there is a very tiny pin in the centre of the plug, and this plugs into a tiny hole in the centre of the female part on the laptop. (I could not see it with my eyes alone, had to use a magnifying glass)

The pin had become bent very slightly and would not align with the hole.

I used a bright light, magnifying glass and very small tweezers to realign the central pin (with the ac adaptor unplugged of course).

Tried it, and it had cured the problem, that I had spent days trying to resolve as I thought it was software related.

Hope this information is helpful if you have the same problem.

Regards

Jason

HP Recommended

Nothing wrong with the center pin on my connector that I can see. I just ordered a new charger and a new battery. Hopefully one of them will solve my problem.  To be continued....

HP Recommended

guys - ur problem is not the same if it isn't telling u it is plugged in but not charging. - a disconnected charger because of a bad pin will not tell u it is plugged in.

HP Recommended
Hi ruggb,
There must be three connectors in the plug, because it says plugged in, the 3rd pin must be some form of feedback.
HP Recommended

u may be right - I'm not familiar with a 350.

OK, I just chkd my adapter and the answer is the outside sleeve is not connected to the inside sleeve so there is the 3rd connection.

Now it all makes sense as to why the battery could be bad when it is plugged in but not charging.

thx for the comeback.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.