Question

Tutor
archit90
Message 1 of 4 (94 Views)

ram upgrade for hp pavillion g6 laptop

My current HP pavillion G6-2016TX (in India) has 4 GB of RAM in one slot.

Since the other slot is free I want to upgrade RAM to 8GB (4x2)

the RAM is 4GB DDR3 1600MHz

Can i install RAM purchased from online retailer or should I call customer care for the upgrade

If i can install RAM purchased form online retailer, what should I look apart from RAM freq to avoid compatiblity issues?

Thanks

-AG

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (81 Views)

Re: ram upgrade for hp pavillion g6 laptop

Hi,

The best way is to look at the current RAM with a pen to record brand, model ... and BUY the same specs, same brand to make sure it will work. You can do yourself, this is a two minnute work. Please note: 32 bit Operating system can't access more than 4Gb of RẠM

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
archit90
Message 3 of 4 (77 Views)

i have 64 bit OS

Does that mean that IF i buy RAM through retailer, then there wont be warranty issues.

I have heard (on some online forums) that if i replace RAM on my own, then HP voids the warranty claiming (something on the lines of) that you have done modifications to the hardware which is not suppported.

This is why i am confused, whether should i do this trivial work myslef or go through HP Tech support

PLease answer this query

Thanks.

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 4 (70 Views)

Hi,

Normally NO, one exception: you break the machine by using wrong RAM.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation