transfer data from laptop hard drive (1038 Views)
Honor Student
bcdejan
Message 1 of 6 (1,038 Views)
Accepted Solution

transfer data from laptop hard drive

My laptop dv6910us will no longer boot up. How do I transfer the data on the removed hard disk to my new laptop. I have been told the hard disk is "proprietary" so the normal usb adapters that connect directly to the hard drive to transfer data will not connect to mine. Pls help!

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 6 (1,015 Views)

Re: transfer data from laptop hard drive

[ Edited ]

Normal USB adapters or HDD Enclosures will work on the hdd. You just have to remove the little plastic adapter that is on the pins of the hdd.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
bcdejan
Message 3 of 6 (1,011 Views)

Thanks for the reply...but the "pins" are not pins but copper/brass slats almost 3/16in across..none of the adapters I have seen have slits for the adapter to slip into the hard disk...they are all for pins or tiny squares..no coverings on the slats to remove.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 6 (1,008 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you have an IDE only adapter.Your laptop hdd is SATA. You need an adapter that also handles SATA connector. Note the extra red cable with this adapter.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7142057&CatId=3770

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
Huffer
Message 5 of 6 (1,003 Views)

It is not IDE it is the normal dv6500 and higher hard drive adapter. As stated in the first post if you remove the extra plastic piece...voila! an ordinary SATA laptop drive. It looks like it is part of the drive but I "garantee" if you pull it will come off. 

Honor Student
bcdejan
Message 6 of 6 (1,000 Views)

Gosh..thanks you guys...all works fine now..YIPPEE!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation