Question

Tutor
zachlr
Message 1 of 7 (3,814 Views)

(urgent) HP Pavilion DV9000 suddenly won't charge anymore? Laptop or charger?

[ Edited ]

I have a DV9000 that is a few years old and has been running fine until a few days ago.  The battery is dramatically degraded from use, but it still lasts long enough for my uses and doesn't impact the laptop when plugged in.  A few days ago, I was using the laptop as normal, and suddenly the battery indicator (on Ubuntu 11.04) showed "Discharging".  The battery ran out after about 30-45 minutes, and I have not been able to charge or power on the laptop since.  The laptop AC indicator LEDs (on the front and the side) no longer show the laptop as being plugged in, even when AC is connected.  When I press power, the AC indicator LED blinks three times, indicating that the battery is not charged (not surprisingly), whether the AC adapter is plugged in or not.  When I remove the battery and press power, nothing happens, and all lights are dark, whether the laptop is plugged in to AC or not. 

Edit: I should note that the battery indicator has switched to "Discharging" for no reason in the past.  It happens one or two times a day, if even, and it started relatively recently.  It only stays in that state for a few seconds, or a few minutes at most, and then it goes back to normal.  I've been able to ignore it up until now. 

Do you think the problem is the laptop, battery, charger, or something else?  Would replacing one of these fix the problem?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (3,788 Views)

Re: (urgent) HP Pavilion DV9000 suddenly won't charge anymore? Laptop or charger?

It is either the laptop or the AC power brick. Is there a little green indicator light on the brick? If it is out the AC adapter is dead. if it is on, the laptop itself (motherboard) is the likely culprit. You have gotten excellent usage out of a DV9000....you likely had one of the last 10% of them still working.

Tutor
zachlr
Message 3 of 7 (3,785 Views)

Re: (urgent) HP Pavilion DV9000 suddenly won't charge anymore? Laptop or charger?

The AC power brick has no lights or indicators on it.  In the past its gotten very hot at times, but I'm sure that is normal, if it means anything.  The label has a few numbers including "N20789" and "042519-11", but the serial number field and the larger adjacent field are both empty.  They may have been rubbed clean off by my carpet over the years (and I mean CLEAN off), but I don't recall if there was anything written in either one when I got it.  Regardless, there's no part number besides the ones listed. 

Also, I don't really have any way of testing it short of hooking it up to a volt meter.  I don't have a spare AC adapter of that model nor a compatable laptop, so I can't cross test either one. 

The DV9000 charger is listed on Amazon for around 10 dollars.  It's a lot cheaper than buying a new laptop, but would it even be worth it to try a new charger?

PS: I've made an edit to the original post, if it changes anything.

Thanks,

Zach

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 7 (3,779 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would say it is 30% likely to be the adapter and 70% the motherboard. Radio Shack or a local mom and pop computer store might test the adapter on a voltmeter for you if you ask nicely and catch them when they are not busy. I would venture $10 to see if it might just be the adapter. On any other model I would say the odds were the other way around; massive hardware failure is the rule rather than the exception with the dv9000 and related series.

The added text in the original post has me thinking bad AC jack as another possible source of the problem. The intermittent "discharge" icon was the AC jack slowly dying, perhaps.That is a repair that would cost somewhere between a motherboard and a new AC adapter. The dv9000 uses a modular plug in adapter jack that is not horribly difficult to replace; no soldering required. The repair is just beyond what I would advise a person with no prior experience to attempt, however. Try the $10 adapter. If it does not work, I can point you to repair shops on ebay that can fix the motherboard or the AC jack for somewhere between $60 and $125....you need to decide it it is worth investing that in a laptop that cannot be made truly reliable and is rapidly approaching obsolescence.

Tutor
zachlr
Message 5 of 7 (3,772 Views)

I understand what you're saying and I think it would be best to determine whether the problem lies with the charger or not, and anything beyond that would probably be best solved by replacing the laptop, due to its age and hardware problems.  I didn't realize that the DV9000 was so prone to hardware problems.  I've had it for a few years now and I haven't had any issues.  I also had a DV6000 that held up well for a fair amount of time, and it ultimately stopped working due to human error.  I know very little about hardware, however, so I'll take your word for it. 

I'll probably try taking both the adapter and the laptop to a shop and try to get at least one of them tested (using a volt meter and universal adapter, respectively) if I can find a place that will do it for free.  Failing that, purchasing a new adapter online and testing it will be plan B.  Finally, if it is not the adapter, unless I can have the problem repaired for an unusually low price, a new laptop may be in order. 

I'll keep checking back and I'll post a reply when I find something out.

Thanks,

Zach

Student
tchristy
Message 6 of 7 (3,677 Views)

Hi Zach,

I'm having the same problems with my DV9000...the charger seems to have stopped working and is beeping at the adaptor/black box piece.  Did replacing your adapter solve your problem?  I've had this laptop for several years and this is the first time I've had any problems too.  I haven't replaced the battery either.  Your post seems close to what I'm experiencing, so I'm wondering if you were able to fix with a new adapter?  Did you buy through HP or an online store?

Thanks!

Christy

Tutor
zachlr
Message 7 of 7 (3,062 Views)

Sorry, I meant to post back here a long time ago, and I just realized I never shared my findings. Fortunately, a new AC adapter was all I needed. I bought one from Amazon for under $10, and the laptop works like it did before. Christy, although I can't know for sure, it sounds like you're having the same problem I was, and mine was fixed by replacing the adapter. The only way to know for sure is to get an adapter and test it. If that's not the problem, you can most likely return the adapter to wherever you got it from.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation