which motherboard do i have? (1515 Views)
Top Student
kam124
Message 1 of 8 (1,515 Views)

which motherboard do i have?

hey guys...im not all that good with computers so i have been having trouble finding out what kind of motherboard i have...

can anyone help me get this info or does anyone know?

i have a pavilion dv6-1007tx

processor is core 2 duo p8600 @2.40ghz

can anyone telll me what is the fastest processor  that is compatible with my motherboard? or tell me where i                              might be able to get that info?

any help would be appreciated....thanks

kam

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 8 (1,506 Views)

Re: which motherboard do i have?

You should have Intel GM45 Chipset... But I would suggest downloading CPUz from here http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html ... That should give you the accurate info...

On the Processor Upgrade,on Notebooks...it is not possible as you dont get notebook processors in open market...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Dean
Huffer
Message 3 of 8 (1,504 Views)

Well, not exactly true....you can get laptop processors from newegg.com and on ebay. But the gist of the message is correct. Unless you are a good laptop tech yourself it is just not cost effective to upgrade a laptop processor. The processors are expensive, labor is expensive and hard to find, the operation is risky for the patient and your warranty is voided. Other than that, no problem.

Top Student
kam124
Message 4 of 8 (1,482 Views)

thanks for the help...i downloaded the cpuz program and it turns out that i have a PM45 motherboard

i checked the HP website and found out that the QX9300 ($500 on ebay) and the Q9100 ($280 on ebay) are compatible

with my motherboard. i really want to upgrade to to a quad core because i use video converting programs that always max out my current (P8600 2.4GHz) cpu. 

im not so worried about the cost...cause its a hell of a lot cheaper than forking out for a new laptop... however i am leaning towards the Q9100...

can u think of any other associated problems that i might encounter?

for e.g will the extra 20W make my system to hot?

thanks for all your help

kam

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 5 of 8 (1,475 Views)

Yup, Thermal will be an issue as per me...Plus looks like you have Discrete Graphic card....

How bad is your need from a processor upgrade...as just adding extra RAMs will help better system performance...P8600 is pretty capable processor... 

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Dean
Huffer
Message 6 of 8 (1,467 Views)

$500 for a new processor? Sell your laptop and add $500 from your pocket or even $700 to make up for the hassle of a processor upgrade and you can have a new i5 or even i7 laptop with everything you want. And you are correct in assuming an extra 20W power draw will be an issue. I am not even sure the BIOS of your laptop is set up to recognize and work with the Quad Cores...a bit of a crap shoot.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 7 of 8 (1,458 Views)

I will second Huffer...Processor upgrade on notebook, is just a bad idea as per me...

There are about 4 Laptops on HP shopping... around 600-800 range...Sorry! Dont Track others in the market...there should be more...

But See what suites you best...

Top Student
kam124
Message 8 of 8 (1,445 Views)

thats the thing...the ram isnt a problem as i have 4 gigs worth but i am using the free upgrade of win7 x32 that i got with the laptop...i am only able to utilize 2.97 gigs because of the x32 system...the laptop is x64 capable and i do want to upgrade to 64 bit but i will have to buy a whole new win7, which isnt cheap cause i cant use the upgrade to go from 32 bit to 64 bit...but suffice to say that the 2.97gigs is enough for right now...

the cpu is the problem as it is always at 100% when i use my converting programs...

but i guess i should heed ur advice and not bother with the cpu upgrade...even though i really want/need it....i will see how much i get get for this baby...hopefully a decent price as it is only 9 months old...

it does kind of make sense to buy a new one...even if i buy the Q9100 and not the QX9300, pay for the installation and also pay for the 64 bit windows 7 i am looking at about A$1000....might as well just get an i7 system....

thanks for ur advice and talking me out of trying to upgrade....

regards,

kam 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation