60% RAM use constantly (2093 Views)
Student
egrace
Message 1 of 5 (2,093 Views)

60% RAM use constantly

I have a Pavilion dv4 with 4gb ram.  No matter what programs I'm running (or none at all) my RAM is always running at a minimum of 50%, thus slowing down my computer dramatically.  According to my Resource Monitor it's due to svchost.exe.  It's running stuff with a PID of 372 (I don't know if that is useful info).  Are these all important?  Can I stop them?  I've already run CCleaner and my processor isn't running high.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 5 (2,081 Views)

Re: 60% RAM use constantly

The amount of used memory does not slow a system until it gets past 100%, and I doubt this will ever happen with 4gb.

If it is Vista or W7 this is normal, the Operating system reserves memory space to make applications load faster.

No, svhost is a critical process for many services and programs, do not terminate them.

Honor Student
biggles1000
Message 3 of 5 (1,871 Views)

hi, I have a similar problem on my 5 year old ZV5000 laptop. As you can probably guess, this is a greater problem for me as this only has 512MB of RAM. I run Windows 7 Professional on it and it is incredibly slow but I don't fancy switching back to XP as it is rather outdated. My laptop has recently been showing (on the memory and CPU desktop gadget) at least 60%+ RAM usage, an at the moment, 89% with only Opera with four tabs open running. As mentioned before, this is a real pain for me as it does seem to slow it down. Is there any RAM-flushing program that coud help? (e.g. on my jailbroken iPod Touch I can tap 'free memory' on SBSettings.).

Thanks

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 5 (1,861 Views)

biggles1000 wrote:

hi, I have a similar problem on my 5 year old ZV5000 laptop. As you can probably guess, this is a greater problem for me as this only has 512MB of RAM. I run Windows 7 Professional on it and it is incredibly slow but I don't fancy switching back to XP as it is rather outdated. My laptop has recently been showing (on the memory and CPU desktop gadget) at least 60%+ RAM usage, an at the moment, 89% with only Opera with four tabs open running. As mentioned before, this is a real pain for me as it does seem to slow it down. Is there any RAM-flushing program that coud help? (e.g. on my jailbroken iPod Touch I can tap 'free memory' on SBSettings.).

Thanks

Windows 7 needs a bare minimum of 1gb memory and will still be somewhat slow, 2gb is better.

Honor Student
biggles1000
Message 5 of 5 (1,854 Views)

ah, thanks :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation