Battery Shorting AC Power? (151 Views)
Top Student
Srgtroy
Message 1 of 8 (151 Views)

Battery Shorting AC Power?

I have a dv6000 1334us laptop.

It currently will only work on battery power.  If I plug in the AC adaptor while the battery is in the laptop, the light on the jack DOES NOT go on and the battery is not recharging.  However, if i plug in the AC adaptor after I've taken the battery out of the laptop, the lighton the jack  DOES go on, but the laptop still does not turn on.  

Its not the AC adaptor itself because I switched it out for a new one and the same thing happens with the new AC adaptor.  Not sure exactly what is going on.  Any help would be appreciated!!!

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 2 of 8 (130 Views)

Re: Battery Shorting AC Power?

Hey Srgtroy, 

I'm sorry you're running into this battery issue. Three possibilities could be the Motherboard, Power Connector Cable or the Battery itself.  Do you have a multi-meter? If you don't already have one, I wouldn't buy one just for this purpose, but you could try plugging in the AC Adapter and removing the battery. Then put the leads into the battery port on the bottom of the computer to see if you get continuity there. Depending on the results, you may be able to rule out the motherboard and power connector cable. If you decide to test it that way, let me know what you find :smileyhappy:

Top Student
Srgtroy
Message 3 of 8 (113 Views)

Thanks for  your reply!

I don't own a multimeter but I will try and get my hands on one to perform a continuity test.  Once I peform the test, I will post the results and await any further advice you may have.

Thanks again! 

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 4 of 8 (97 Views)

Absolutely! I'm interested to know what you find! :smileyhappy:

Top Student
Srgtroy
Message 5 of 8 (83 Views)

I bought a relatively cheap multimeter from Frys.  I want to test the battery port.  Instead of the obvious postive and negative areas, there is only a series of consecutive copper or gold "teeth".  How do I know where exactly to place the test leads?  Thanks!

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 6 of 8 (65 Views)

It's hard to give exact steps without a schematic of the motherboard/battery contacts. In general, positive should be on one end and negative on the other end*. You may have to try putting the leads in different combinations. Start out with one on each end and then switch them  until you find a reading. If you don't get any reading at all, then the motherboard will need to be replaced. 

I'm interested to know what you find out!

*Source: BatteryUniversity.com

Top Student
Srgtroy
Message 7 of 8 (58 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your continued help.

One last question before testing.  You mentioned earlier to plug the AC adaptor in while doing the continuity test, but after reading up a bit about how to use multimeters -- I was wondering if the continuity test shouldn't be done without AC power to the laptop.    I thought in a continuity test, the multimeter supplies the current and you are just testing to see if it flows through the selected component.  Thank again.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 8 of 8 (47 Views)

That's correct sorry for the misinformation. Multimeters do supply their own power from their batteries. So you wouldn't need to connect the AC Adapter.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation