Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
I have an hp elite book 6930p and it's great until today I plugged in my charger and turned it on the laptop was very slow and it always was freezing and plus it would just stay on 0% and every time I would unplug my charger it would turn off I've read that you have to take out the battery the. Plug in the charger then start it up and uninstall some things from the device manager I've tried that and nothing's working help
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Ok I turned it on and it's a little less slower but now the battery says its on 17% and it won't move??? Could this have anything to do with the ac adapter?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

If nothing is working after you removed the battery, we should consider if the power adaptor is working. Someone could test your adaptor with and ohm meter.  When you plug in the power adaptor, do you get a light that tells you that the notebook is attached to power or is that light no on now?  The notebook jack can be damaged if it gets hit too hard with the power adaptor plugged in.  There are usually 3 or 4 pins going from that power jack soldered into the mother board or power board accessory.  When the jack is stress too much, one of those pins can break or even crack a solder connection.  Sometimes this manifests itself by working sometimes if you push on the power plug in just the right direction.  Test a few things and report back.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended
Yes when I plug it in it lights up and it says charging but it doesn't charge. And I don't stress the notebook jack I don't know I've tried to take out the battery and it still doesn't work. And as for it being very slow and laggy is that because the battery is not charging. It's never been like this.
HP Recommended

It really sounds like a hardware problem. I would start with running a memory test.  I think the hp has a utility that can be accessed by pressing one of the F key on the top row of the keyboard.  If not, you can download memtest 86 from cnet.  A good memory test should run over night with no errors.  Another possibility if that your cpu is over heating and it is throttling itself back in order not to burn up.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended
Ok I turned it on and it's a little less slower but now the battery says its on 17% and it won't move??? Could this have anything to do with the ac adapter?
HP Recommended
Ok I just learned something interesting so i was using the comp and it was very slow and the battery was on 17% percent so I unplugged the charger and instantly the computer ran like nothing happened it was fast and not slow but the second I plugged the charger in it was slow and laggy again this is really confusing do I need to buy a new charger!?
HP Recommended

same problem heren no solution found yet

HP Recommended

Sorry to bump this thread but I believe this issue still exists even with the newer HP notebooks. I have a HP Probook 440 G3 with an i7-6500U processor running Windows 10 (had it for under a year and it was pretty fast but now it's just terribly slow) and since last week, the laptop was having issues with charging the battery? It would reportedly show the battery at 0% and state that it was charging. I monitored my computer with task manager and saw that my computer was underclocking the CPU from 2.5 Ghz to 0.13 Ghz!! When I unplugged my computer to check the battery, I noticed a side effect where the computer's speed went back up to 2.5 Ghz. I never seen this issue before ever in my life and decided to google this which brought me here. So I guess I'm not a lone and it looks like HP still does not have an actual answer on why this happens or a remedy to fix it? I might as well have to have tyhis laptop repaired (fortunately still under warranty) but it's so annoying...

I can say for sure it's not an overheating issue as the laptop isn't generating much heat and downclocking to 0.13 Ghz makes no sense. It would just be better to make a beep sound and then shut off the laptop as an emergency.  I feel like something is wrong with the power delivery system and Windows is reacting to this issue pretty badly and trying to compensate it by lowering the clock speed (not too sure what is the intent for this unless maybe it thinks it's not drawing enough power even though the computer can power up fine when I turn it on)?

UPDATE: Just did a bit more digging and it looks like what I guessed was partially true. It seems like this may very well be the issue: http://www.itwriting.com/blog/985-hp-laptop-go-slow-caused-by-power-supply.html

ARticle made back in 2008 but might still apply to today's HP laptops...

I guess the only thing left is to to get another power adapter to test this case. Also, I know that the laptop has warranty but does warranty also cover the power adapter that comes along with the laptop? I would guess so but just making sure. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.