Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have HP G42-475DX notebook of only 2 years old and last month it first showed symtoms of break down.

On power ON I don't see any BIOS, but only black screen and the Caps lock will blink every 3seconds, and forever. The Num lock doesn't blink. I didn't change any memory or hard drive.

After reading several posts, I did a hard reset by holding the power key (while the power cable and battery were disconnected) and then power on with only the AC adapter in (and not Battery) it solved the problem.

This doesn't work all the time and only after many attempts it will work at some random attempt.

Recently my laptop shutdown and I tried the same hard reset multiple times and I still get black screen with Caps lock blinking forever.

I don't want to spend money at pc repair shop, the labor charge to disammble the laptop itself is very expensive.

Thanks,

-sri

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello Ysrini,

I understand when you try to turn the computer on you get a black screen and the caps lock light blinks continuously, is that correct? I will happy to help you.

When the caps lock light blinks does it seem to be in any pattern, or is it just one solid blink every second?

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

I have the same problem I guess HP DV6 3013-NR more than 2 years old. I get a black screen with Caps lock blinking forever 1 time after each pause. The fan works. I did the hard reset and took off the RAM and HDD but didn't help. I was told it is the dead or faulty  CPU so I changed the CPU but still the same problem. The other thing is that the LED light for Hard disk is RED. i Dont know what to do.!

HP Recommended

Robbert82,

At this point I believe your computer needs to be examined by a local technician. Because you have replaced the CPU already it could be an issue with the motherboard. Because I am not able to physically examine it I believe the best recommendation I can provide is to take it somewhere locally to have some take a look at it.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Hi HP Expert, the caps lock light blinks once every 2 seconds, forever, just a solid blink consistently (one blink every 2secs), no other pattern

After my first post here, the laptop booted at some randome time, and then it didn't work for sometime and would again work at random. Now i have been doing the hard reset and poweron for the past 2 days, but no bios starts and the caps lock blinks forever as i described earlier.

Why aren't there any error codes for continuous solid blinks?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

How do i troubleshoot now?

Thanks,

-sri

HP Recommended

Hello ysrini,

I understand that you are getting one blink from the caps lock key.

This is that the CPU is not functioning.

You may need to take the system somewhere local and have them look at the computer.

Let me know how everything goes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.