Question

Honor Student
wvanderhoff
Message 1 of 3 (104 Views)

Blue Screen Happening All The Time.

I currently have a DV6-3237 over the last 6 months I've had a bunch of problems with it and it is now starting to bug me, that a computer that is just under 3 years old that is having so many issues. I have upgraded a few things. I added a 1 tb hard drive, and upgraded from 4gb ram to 8gb ram. I keep getting BSOD. I ran a ram test and it said issues were detected.... I know that might be part of the problem, but I think thier might be more.

Anyone that can help please let me know what info you need.
Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 3 (87 Views)

Re: Blue Screen Happening All The Time.

[ Edited ]

Hi,

A bad memory module would certailnly cause the issue you're describing so I'd suggest running a further test on your memory as follows.

First, download the Memtest Image file ( .ISO ) on the following link.

http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip

This is a zipped file, if you don't have an extraction utility installed, download and install 7-Zip.  Please note, if you have a 64bit installation, download and install the .msi 64-bit x64 installer on the link below.

http://www.7-zip.org/

Then, right click the zipped file, select 7-Zip, select extract files and then click Ok.  Open the newly extracted folder to find the Memtest Image. 

You will now need to use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO correctly to a blank CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here

When you have created the CD, shut down the notebook.  Tap away at the esc key as you power on to enter the Start-up Menu.  Insert the Memtest CD.  Select 'Boot Options' ( usually f9 ), use the arrow keys to highlight the CD/DVD drive and hit enter to boot from the disc.

Run at least 3-4 passes and see if any errors are detected.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
wvanderhoff
Message 3 of 3 (79 Views)

Re: Blue Screen Happening All The Time.

Update. I bought a new pny 2x4gb dual channel pc memory kit. Ddr3 pc3-10666. Installed with no issues so far. I'm currently running the memtest86 no errors yet. So the ram may have been the problem. I also ordered the recovey disk set for my computer, since I had problems restoring my computer back in july when I upgraded the HDD. I was running a generic version of windows 7 home premium, so that could be part of the issue. I was having issues with some of the functions of the computer, could have been the drivers... I'm not sure.

Also once this test completes will it create a log so if there are any errors I can share them with you?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation