Brand New Laptop is Slow and Horrible.... Please help. (1816 Views)
Honor Student
Barry_mann
Message 1 of 8 (1,816 Views)

Brand New Laptop is Slow and Horrible.... Please help.

I'll start with a little bit of background.

I have been building my own Desktops since 1998. About 4 years ago, i bought a compaq laptop at a Black Friday sale. My first actual computer purchase. The laptop has been good but has been heavily abused.

I am at the point in my career were i need to do quite a bit of traveling. It was embarrasing givine presentations with my old eye sore laptop. So i decided it was time to upgrade.

A few months back i purchased a

DV7-4223ca

AMD Phenom II N870 Processor

4gb DDR3 memory

Windows 7 64 bit

Has most of the bells and whistles and a very sharp looking computer.

When i received it, i followed the directions exactly. It took many, many hours to install Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and a few other small add ons. At first, i thought it was because it is new. Usaully one of my fresh build desktops are slow for a few days after the first startup. But this seems to be getting worse. My first performance index was a 5.0 ( Straight out of the box). now it is down to a 4.3. I cannot use it for work because it constantly locks up while giving presentations. I cant download hardly anything. My 4 year old $200 laptop works circles around this thing!!!

Last night was movie night with the kids. I guess the DVD player decided to die, but i have this very expensive useless box over here. It is suppose to have all kind of multimedia features................. We never got to finish watching the movie. Kids were upset and i had to go buy a new dvd player from walmart at 10:00 pm

One more gripe.... The mouse pad sucks. I have to hit it multiple times at a minium.

I have went through every setting i could think of but nothing helps. I just ran the diagnostic and it came up good. There doesnt seem to be anything hogging alot of memory or cpu usage. It does have tons of HP bundled type programs on here still. But i was trying to leave this thing stock.

My Iphone is about 3 times as fast as this laptop.

I have thought about wiping it clean and starting over. but i am not sure how. This thing didnt come with any disk and im not quite sure how to do it without them.

I am open to all suggestions!

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 2 of 8 (1,814 Views)

Re: Brand New Laptop is Slow and Horrible.... Please help.

My computer is a 3.2 on the performance index and is plenty fast, I wouldn't put too much stock in the rating.  It only goes to 7.9 so 5 isn't too bad anyway.  Graphics are a big part of it and laptops have crappy graphics.

What do you have for virus protection and is it up to date?  Malware would cause everything to slow down like you are talking about.

Honor Student
Barry_mann
Message 3 of 8 (1,813 Views)

I'm running the norton that came with it. I hate norton but.... But this has been the case since day one. The only time it was connected to the net for the first month was to update windows. Also it says entertainment laptop, but the graphics are on par with apple II. Lol HP just sent me an email saying I need to update my bios and drivers. I just did a scan and everything has the latest version.
Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 4 of 8 (1,812 Views)

HP's "help" is worthless, first of all.

Pull up task manager at any time but especially when you are slow and look what is hogging all your cpu and ram.

I would bet the farm that Norton is your problem.  It is terrible software.  Remove it and get a better free alternative.  Avast! is great and free.

Removing norton can be tricky, so you may want the norton removal tool from their web site:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&do...

Good luck man

Honor Student
Barry_mann
Message 5 of 8 (1,810 Views)

After I just typed my response. I realized that is most likely my problem. I am running a malware bytes scan first, then I will remove norton. What other factory bs should ivremove why I'm at it?
Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 6 of 8 (1,807 Views)

[ Edited ]

A great question.  

There are two programs I use to help decide this and get rid of them:

http://www.glarysoft.com/products/utilities/quick-startup/

This program tells you what is auto starting with windows and lets you manage it.  The more red the meter for the program means it's more of a threat and should go.  I turned off everything except my antivirus, soundcard software, and quick launch button software, everything else can be unchecked. 

This does mean that you will have no more auto updating for adobe acrobat and flash and whatever wants to update which brings me to some other useful software:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

This program makes all of the programs on your computer up to date from one control panel, very handy and I find doing this once a month or two is better than having my system bogged down by all of these checks.  

If you give me a list of stuff you are questioning whether or not to keep I can tell you if it's something neccessary or if I don't recognize it, but a lot of this process is trial and error.  

Your laptop will be much better without all the useless bloatware.  

Honor Student
Barry_mann
Message 7 of 8 (1,785 Views)

I think i may have reolved my problem. I used it for about 5 minutes afterward and everything seemed fine.

I ran the F2 Diagnostic - Came back fine

I ran the HP Drivers scan/ Update - everything was up to date.

Ran Malwarebytes - no issues

Ran Disk Cleanup and defrag again

I then removed Norton

Installed AVG

I then restarted it and it was still the same.

I then decided to try a different approach. Instead of trying to speed it up, i would look into the poor video quality. I went to the AMD site. The scan said i had a missing driver for my video card ( Device manager didnt state this). I downloaded the suite and about halfway through, Messages started popping up everywhere to update different drivers. After everything downloaded and installed. I restarted my computer.

The startup took about 5 minutes, but alot had been changed.

Once booted, the screen quality was perfect. Volume was extremly loud ( woke up one of my kids with the chime).

I then ran a disk cleanup. It took about 15 seconds vs 30 minutes earlier. I pulled up a presentation that the computer always freezed on and it ran smooth.

Pulled up Youtube...... Then i guess i fell asleep. I woke up at 8:00 am, sitting in my recliner with my computer on my lap. Dang, late to work again!!

I figured one of two things happened.

1) Norton was somehow blocking the correct drivers to be installed.

2) HP Driver Update is loaded with the incorrect drivers.

Maxpower757 - I have everything not needed turned off on my startup.

I appreciate those links you have provided. I think i may use them.

I am at work right now and dont have the laptop with me. But when i get home, i will post a screen shot of all the programs in question. I know i dont have any of these things on any other computer in my home and havnt heard of any of them.

I do have one last question. I do not quite grasp the concept of not having any disk... On my other computers, i keep everything backed up on a external hard drive. If i get a virus or something goes really wrong. I just reformat the hard drive, Install all my programs and import my files from my external hard drive. Sooo, am i suppose to make a disk? Or is this permanetly stored on the hard drive? I am not quite sure....

Grad Student
maxpower757
Message 8 of 8 (1,784 Views)

For backup look into drive imaging software.

There are many free programs but the one I use is called Acronis (not free).  

With Acronis, you clone the drive as a whole, every file, into an image that can be stored on your external and recovered at a later date.  It is a lot simpler and more effective.

Again, Acronis is pay software, there are free imaging programs that work I just don't know which ones because I have always used Acronis and it works.

That is great you got fixed, I'll let you know about the screenshot after work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation