Question

Honor Student
jcanjura
Message 1 of 55 (20,692 Views)

Can't wake up laptop - HP Pavilion dv6000

Hi,

I'm having a very annoying problem with my HP Pavilion dv6000.

Every time it goes to hibernate mode (due to idle time or by closing it) I can't wake it up.

The Power Light (left blue led at the front) and the Power Button on the Switch Cover are blinking.

Even when I press the Power Button to wake it up or kept it pressed to power off the laptop it doesn't do anything, it remains in the same hibernate mode.

The only way to solve this is unplug the Notebook, remove the battery, wait 10 to 15 seconds, and put the battery back!!!

Of course all jobs running before going to hibernate are lost and the OS (Windows Vista) starts asking if you want to start in safe mode, normal mode, etc... meaning it wasn't shutdown properly.

I can't believe I'm the only one having this issue but I haven't found a solution yet.

I found some posts related to the battery, power options (or power plans), or even bad memory cards.

1. I have checked and replaced the memory -> Same.

2. I've reformat/restored the laptop -> Same.

3. I've check/modified the power options -> Same.

4. I don't think the problem is the power options because the same problem happens when I close the laptop without shutting it down.

If anyone can shed some light here that will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Juan.

Student
abi222002
Message 2 of 55 (20,681 Views)

Re: Can't wake up laptop - HP Pavilion dv6000

Hi;

The same problem happened to my dv2400....I put it on hibernate mode, after I turned it on...all the lights blink but the screen stays black....have you found a solution from any other source?

Thank you

Tutor
minus_13
Message 3 of 55 (20,660 Views)

when power lights blink, it means that you put your computer to Stand By(not hibernate)...

in hibernate mode all the system turns off and nothing remains on or blinking...

the solution is to hold SHIFT button and the computer will wake up...

Honor Student
jcanjura
Message 4 of 55 (20,636 Views)

Hey Minus_13,

Thanks for your reply, I just try holding the left or right SHIFT keys but it didn't wake the computer up.

I checked the User Guide and it says about the Power Button:

Power button
● When the computer is in the Sleep state, press the button briefly to exit Sleep.
● When the computer is in Hibernation, press the button briefly to exit Hibernation.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Student
gzgirl
Message 5 of 55 (19,999 Views)

You aren't crazy. And you aren't putting it in standby. Mine does the same thing. They even replaced the motherboard and the problem remains. I have not yet found a solution but would love to know if someone else can figure it out

Student
drtodor
Message 6 of 55 (19,912 Views)

i just got the same problem on my HP Pavilion dv6500 ...no way out of hibernation except to remove the battery and power back on....extremely anoying!

Honor Student
zharleydave
Message 7 of 55 (19,659 Views)

WOW My 9810 doing the same thing and lost the sound at the same time only way to restore is to pull battery!!! I think HP has a problem

Honor Student
drew1984
Message 8 of 55 (19,634 Views)

Same problem w/ my Pavilion dm4

Honor Student
HPain
Message 9 of 55 (19,601 Views)

Yep, my DV2800 does the same when it enters sleep mode.  It doesn't just sleep, it's in a Coma!  Doesn't HP monitor this forum?

Honor Student
jsokolik
Message 10 of 55 (19,280 Views)

I will add my laptop to the list. it is a dv6226. Have had the same no wake issue for the last 6 months. I cannot find any help on the forums and no help from HP.  I have new memory, new OS install, new battery, lost patience.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation