Question

Honor Student
Chaoticryno
Message 1 of 4 (222 Views)

Caps lock / numslock blinking

Hi, my laptop won't turn on after shut down. The screen is blank and the fan kicks on and the lights blink once on and off. From what I read it's the code for CPU. Is that the only cause of that? If I replace the CPU will that fix it? Where can I buy a CPU? Thanks
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (216 Views)

Re: Caps lock / numslock blinking

[ Edited ]

Why don't you try a hard reset?

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button

It would also be worthwhile looking in the web support portal for your notebook to see if there has been a BIOS release with an enhancement that corrects the issue that you are facing. There may also be a QFE (quick fix engineering) or operating system essential update avaiable for the same reason.

I don't know where you read that. CPUs really don't die very often. Systemboards and other components like memory modules fail more often.

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Chaoticryno
Message 3 of 4 (213 Views)

Yes, I've tried the hard reset but it still does the same thing
Tutor
logics71
Message 4 of 4 (143 Views)

I have a Hp Pavillion DV4-1225dx laptop. I have sent this in for repairs a half a dozen times. My latest issue was the caps lock and numbers lock blinking. It would blink a series of 4 times. I thought it was the motherboard, again.  It meant the graphics controller not functioning. Hp said they no longer service this model. I just knew I was screwed.  Every computer shop I checked cost too much to fix, I might as well by a new laptop. Then, I browsed the web through my HTC evo looking for solutions.  Someone advised me to remove one of the 2GB memory from the memory port. I removed the top memory stick and when I powered it up, it was the same thing. Then I removed the bottom stick and only left the top stick in, and it powered up normally. I couldn't believe this totally fixed my issue. There is still something wrong, but for the time being........ It works perfect. I don't have 4 GB right now because I removed the 2GB stick, but I'm going to buy 1 -4GB stick and put it in the slot that works and it will give it 4GB, just like it supposed to be. I hope this works for everyone, My laptop sat up in my top closet for months.  I'm actually using my DV4-1225dx right now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation