Question

Honor Student
swampchuck
Message 1 of 26 (36,245 Views)

Compaq Presario CQ62-225NR Black Screen

My CQ62 lap top was purchased three weeks ago from Staples.

About five days ago it started with the black screen and blinking cap-lock led upon startup.

I did try returning/exchanging at Staples, but their return policy is only for 14 days.

Doing the suggested “Hard Reset” (unplug, battery out, hold power button for twenty seconds,..etc.) does get it started.

The cap-lock led blinks a series of five, which according to this site’s support info indicates a motherboard problem.

So I’m wondering is the motherboard really going bad in less than a month, or is something else going on here?

Note: I did update the bios to the HP recommended newer firmware.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Chuck

Intern
winicki846233
Message 2 of 26 (36,241 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario CQ62-225NR Black Screen

Chuck,

I'm so sorry you are having these problems with your new notebook!

Can you boot into BIOS? To access the BIOS Setup, turn on the computer and immediately press the ESC key to display the Startup Menu, and then press the F10 key.

If the notebook will not boot into BIOS, then it is determined that the notebook needs to be sent in for a systemboard failure.

Contact HP

If BIOS did display, reset the BIOS defaults. Press F9 keyto reset BIOS. Press f10 to save changes and exit BIOS.

After that try to run the Start-up test in System Diagnostics. To access the UEFI system diagnostics, turn on the computer and immediately press the ESC key to display the startup menu and press the F2 key.

I hope this gets you on the correct direction!

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions,by marking my answer 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
**Click on the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Tutor
kevinm207
Message 3 of 26 (36,232 Views)

You could also try reseating (removing/replacing) the system memory (RAM) in the notebook.  Trying one stick at a time to make sure there's not a bad stick.  5 blinks does typically indicate a "general system board failure," but because the CPU, memory, and system board are so closely tied, it's worth a try.  Here are the instructions on how to reseat the memory:

Memory boards removal

Caution! Observe all precautions when removing and replacing components.

Before you begin: Remove the battery.

1. Loosen the three captive P1 Phillips-head screws that secure the memory cover to the bottom of the notebook.
  2. Use your finger or a flat-bladed tool to lift the rear edge of the cover and remove it.

Note: The primary and expansion memory slots are both located under the accessory cover. The primary memory slot is located on the bottom and the expansion memory slot is located on top. If an expansion memory board is installed, it must be removed before the primary memory board can be removed.

3. Push both arms outward simultaneously to release the memory board to the spring tension position.

Caution! When handling a memory board, use care to prevent touching the memory chips on the board. Touching the memory chips could damage or destroy the memory.

4. Grasp the memory board by the edges and pull gently to remove it.
  5. Place the memory board in a static dissipative bag.

Memory boards replacement

1. Remove the memory board from the static dissipative bag.
  2. Locate the alignment slot and align it to the empty board receptacle.
  3. Grasp the memory board by the edges and push gently to replace it.

Caution! When handling a memory board, use care to prevent touching the memory chips on the board. Touching the memory chips could damage or destroy the memory.
  4. Press the memory board down to latch the arms.
  5. Toe the memory cover onto the base enclosure.
  6. Tighten the three captive P1 Phillips-head screws.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Honor Student
swampchuck
Message 4 of 26 (36,219 Views)

Thank you for your reply.

I did post this problem as an afterthought in “The Other Notebook Questions” forum as this is a startup problem (not freezing).

I wasn’t aware the support team was going to be here for the next two days..so a Big Thanks.

Anyway, after I do the “Hard Reset” the notebook starts up with a display that “CMOS checksum is invalid…and will reset (can’t get into bios), and then starts with the wrong date and time, and several taskbar icons gone.

I then restart and can get into the bios (IF I don’t encounter the black screen again).

I have reset the bios several times, could not use system diagnostic (tapping F10) for the HD test (screen overlay said “Hard Disk 1 Quick (303)” ), but memory tested OK.  

I could run the test with your suggestion of ESC/F2 key, and the memory, HD test, and HD Smart, were all OK.

As for reseating the memory, here in Miami, we are having some very heavy thunderstorms right now, so I want to hold off on that (static electricity is in the air).

I’m wondering if installing the recommended bios update had anything to do with this.

Should I fallback and install the original bios you have posted?

And does installing those bios updates completely replace the current bios or just bits and pieces?   

Chuck

Honor Student
Eagless
Message 5 of 26 (34,035 Views)

I have a problem with my Compaq Presario CQ62-225NR.

I need to know manufacturer of BIOS

Can you help me?    Urgently! Thanks!

Student
Hurgoll
Message 6 of 26 (26,362 Views)

My son is having this same problem. Boots with a red screen, then goes black with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. reboots with control - alt - delete. Start meno tests say nothing is wrong. We watch the caps lock and we don't get the five blinks. Just a normal on for a moment then off. Can you help us?

Honor Student
badbaron
Message 7 of 26 (20,345 Views)

Hi 

I am also having problems with my presario cq 62.

I turn on my computer which sounds like it is booting up however the screen stays black.

Any ideas would be appreciated

many thanks 

Dave

Student
rjvbeek
Message 8 of 26 (18,971 Views)

I have the same problem, sounds like it's booting but it's not. any thoughts on this yet?

Intern
BjBnet
Message 9 of 26 (18,959 Views)

Figured it out.

Although the Caps Lock LED flashes once stating the CPU is problematic, this is not the case.

I replaced the CPU and still the same problem with the LED flashing once.

Last night I was searching for a fix and accidently came up with a temporary fix myself.

My G62 was on the couch while I browsed with my ACER.

Suddenly, the fan kicked on higher simply because it wasn't getting much ventilation since it was on the couch. Just for fun, because the G62 finally showed a sign of life, I shut it off and turned it back on and TADAAAAA! It worked. Was able to use it until I went to bed then shut it off.

I knew it probably wouldn't boot up again in the morning and sure enough, CapsLock flashing. So to test my theory I put it on the couch again for about 10-15minutes until the fan kicked up again. I shut it off, then turned it back on....WORKS! I shut it off again to leave for work.

Got home, tried the couch thing again and it worked again.

Maybe this will help someone in geting their data backed up.

Maybe HP could finally fix my G62 for figuring this out??? It's out of warranty.

It would seem the cause is most likely a bad solder joint or something but when it heats up the solder expands and connects.

Block the vents by putting the laptop on a blanket or towel and let it heat up bu tnot too much.

Student
sandymarrett
Message 10 of 26 (17,291 Views)

OMG OMG OMG!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! We have been struggling with this issue for weeks. Tried replacing battery etc. At times after messing with it we coukd get it to reboot but really never knew how we did it. After panicking all day, I came across your post and immedietly put the laptop on a blanket and VIOLA!!! Now, the real question is, can this be fixed or should we just invest in a new computer and transfer everything?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation