Question

Student
Bejank
Message 1 of 6 (3,471 Views)

Compaq Presario F700 Starts and Stops Repeatedly

My Compaq Presario F700 just suddenly turned off the other day while my son was playing a game on it.  When he tried to turn the laptop back on by pushing the power button all the power light and led lights come on and we can hear the fan starting for exactly three seconds, then the whole laptop shuts off.  Five seconds after that it comes back on and does the same thing for the same three seconds.  This starting and stopping will repeat itself by itself forever unless we take the battery out.  Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Student
appex2
Message 2 of 6 (3,373 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario F700 Starts and Stops Repeatedly

I had the same problem with this model. The suggested reset fix is as follows:

>Disconnect the main power supply, if connected.

>Remove the battery

>Hold down the power start button for 30 seconds

>Reconnect the main power supply, and turn unit on

>The unit should stay on at this point

>Reinstall the battery, and your set to go

Student
lourpn
Message 3 of 6 (3,274 Views)

I have the same model and the same problem. I tried your solution and had no success. I continue to have the same problem. Do you have any more ideas?

Student
jdhobbs
Message 4 of 6 (3,126 Views)

I've got the same problem.

The laptop simply cut out whilst I was using it. Not a shutdown, and not some power surge or depleted battery...power cable in place, and connected to mains via. surge-protector adaptor.

Press the power button to attempt to switch it on and the laptop cuts out within a second. Parts light up, (power button, mouse-pad and power indicator - bottom left) and when powered via. mains cable the port is lit (continuously).

The cut is accompanied by a quiet click, like something is cutting out or a failsafe is stepping in.

I've tried the above suggestion (although I cannot fathom how exactly it would work as the laptop can't physically do anything whilst unpowered) to no avail.

Suggestions?

PS. I've submitted this to support, I'll post the response if / when I get it.

Intern
Kodi
Message 5 of 6 (3,079 Views)

this resets the bios back  to its default

Student
kobnkor
Message 6 of 6 (2,972 Views)

[ Edited ]

have same issue. have just installed new heatsink and fan (wasn't hearing fan engage) and about 30 minutes after install, cut off once again. just reset bios and will see what happens next.

update: has since cut off again after bios reset.

not sure if related, but this is happening while i am running updates, and once progess is near completion is when laptop cuts off. will not run updates and see how long it is before cutting off.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation