Question

Top Student
MalachiR
Message 1 of 4 (300 Views)

Computer unexpectedly goes half-asleep

I have a HP TouchSmart tm2 with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have had my computer unexpectedly go half-asleep a few times.  What I mean by that is the hard drive stops, the screen goes black, and the wifi shutsdown, but everything else seems to be running still.  I can't wake it up from this state.  I have to force shutdown and reboot.  I have had this happen when once when I closed the notebook.  It may have happened once while I was using Chrome browser and things froze first.  Mostly though it seems to happen when I walk away from the computer, leaving it to idle.  Any thoughts on what is happening?

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 2 of 4 (289 Views)

Re: Computer unexpectedly goes half-asleep

This sounds like it might be having an issue with sleep/hibernation modes.

You mentioned this happens when you close the lid.

Go to Start, search for power options, and select this option.

Select "choose what closing the lid does" on the left. 

What is it set to do for battery and power?

Are there any errors reported around the time the issue is present?  Windows will sometimes create an error log when things like this happens.

Go to Start, right-click Computer, and select manage.

Select Event Viewer on the left.  Look for any errors reported around the time this happened and let me know if there is anything and what error it is listing. 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
MalachiR
Message 3 of 4 (261 Views)

Ok it happened again, so I knew now to look in the event viewer.  I found the place where I had to shut the computer down and saw an application error just prior.  In fact, I found the pattern repeated over the last month.  Here is the error report:

Log Name: System
Source: Application Popup
Date: 1/13/2013 11:18:40 AM
Event ID: 1060
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: IRBrown-HP2010
Description:
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\FileDisk.SYS has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Popup" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">1060</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-01-13T16:18:40.827218100Z" />
<EventRecordID>238862</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>IRBrown-HP2010</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>\SystemRoot\SysWow64\Drivers\FileDisk.SYS</Data>
<Binary>000000000200300000000000240400C0000000006B0300C000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

I gather that this file has to do with System Mechanic Professional.  I have contacted their support and am awaiting an answer about this file and this error.  Does anyone here have any advice regarding this problem?  I think that the file may be non-essential.  Is there a way of disabling it or preventing the computer from attempting to load it?

Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 4 of 4 (244 Views)

FileDisk.sys is a system driver, but it could be related to the program listed.

While waiting for a response, I would recommend trying a few things that may resolve or give more insight regarding the issue. 

Reviewing this thread, it could be a failing HDD or a bad sector. 

The command chkdsk /r would repair any bad sectors, but it shouldn't cause any data to be lost.  If any data would be lost, it wouldn't be because of the command. 

Mynameisnotrobert had success with chkdsk /r in this thread.

Let's start with the chkdsk /r command. 

Go to start, search for cmd, right-click, and select run as administrator. 

Enter "chkdsk /r" without the " " marks.

Press enter to run the command.  If you get a prompt stating it cannot be ran, select the option to run it at the next boot and restart the system.

This can take several hours to finish.  I recommend running the command when you have some time to spare. 

You can also run the start-up test to verify that the hardware is functional.

Power the notebook on and press F2 about once a second and select the start-up test. 

Let me know what happens. 

If you feel I've been helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name.  This gives me Kudos and I would greatly appreciate it.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation