Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My problem I am finding very difficult to describe and solve. What it is, is it keeps locking up for no apparent reason. Something to do with Memory Dump failing I think. 

When it crashes, it will crash after a few hours, a few minutes and even just at start up. Sometimes the screen will have funny lines going down the screen and if there is a sound playing, it will jutter the sound so it's repeating itself like the buzzing noise from a bee. When it crashes, it will have the light above the number lock and the caps lock flash at the same time at the same speed. From then, it's completely unresponsive. I have to turn it off via the power button. 

Sometimes the computer will restart with a blue screen saying that the system has to be shut down to prevent further damage to my computer. Also, sometimes it pops up with an error message saying Memory dump complete, memory dump failed with a load of numbers but I can only catch that for a few seconds before it restarts. 

I tried turning it on the other day after leaving it for a good 2 weeks and it wouldn't do anything. It powered up for 2 seconds, then became unresponsive again. It has reached a max of 82 degrees but apparently the CPU can support up to 95. 

I was on skype the other month and it froze in mid speech. Sounded like 2 walkie talkies had been put next to eachother and had both the talk buttons pressed. So high pitched!

I have not tried over clocking it or tampering with it in anyway. There is no warranty with it as the problem occured almost 2 months after it had expired. 

HP Pavilion dv6-2112sa Entertainment Notebook

Windows 7 Home 64bit 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Pat.

Then I would remove one of the 2 memory chips and see if the crashing stops. If it does, then you know you got lucky on the first try.

If the notebook continues to crash, remove that chip and just install the first one you removed and see if that works.

If not, then I don't have any other suggestions you can try--other than backing up your files and doing a factory restore.

Remember to always remove the battery and A/C power before working inside your PC.

Paul

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

Go into the BIOS. There should be a diagnostics menu. Run the memory check and see what it reports.

Even if it says the memory is OK, if your notebook has 2 memory modules, try running it on each one only and see if the crashing continues.

If the PC runs fine on one of the modules, then you found the problem.

Faulty memory will oftentimes cause some very erratic behavior in PC's.

Paul

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my Pavillion but it just started this week.  No new software on it. It does it spradically and then will do it on a regular asis.  Ran a restore and it was fine for a few days not doing it again today.  Likely will while I am on forum.

How do I get to the BIOS to do this?

Pat

HP Recommended

Hi, Pat:

Boot up the PC and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, tap the F10 key to gain access to the BIOS.

There should be a diagnostics menu and in that menu should be an option to check the memory and hard drive.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks will give that a try.  So far 6 crashes today :((  Maybe time to look for a new laptop but its only 2 years old :((

Pat

HP Recommended

Mine was 13 months old so it was 1 month over warrenty. I haven't bothered with the laptop for months but since this thread has come back to life I'll give mine a go again

HP Recommended

Unfortunately when I tried to install an HP diagnostic the diagnostic software crashed :((  I did find the BIOS page but could not find anyway to run a review on it. 

Pat

HP Recommended

Hi, Pat.

Then I would remove one of the 2 memory chips and see if the crashing stops. If it does, then you know you got lucky on the first try.

If the notebook continues to crash, remove that chip and just install the first one you removed and see if that works.

If not, then I don't have any other suggestions you can try--other than backing up your files and doing a factory restore.

Remember to always remove the battery and A/C power before working inside your PC.

Paul

HP Recommended

Don't know if this helps or not. Just took out 1 module and it's fine so far but I got a feeling it will crash soon. I have a BSOD problem so here are my MemDump files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?h8a2qa9q9cpfrs6 

HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't know what program I need to open the file once I extract it, but I can tell you that it would all be "Greek" to me anyway.

I don't know how to analyze those files.

Paul

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.