Question

Top Student
Katusha212
Message 1 of 6 (644 Views)
Accepted Solution

Continuous freezing, can't play DVDs

Hello

I have a Pavilion ze 1230 and constantly have freezing probems. Freezing means the cursor won't move no matter how much I click or how long I wait. I have to turn off power to solve it. But sometimes it's fine for a long time, and sometimes it happens literally every two or three minutes.

Another problem is that I cannot watch videos online, so I tried watching by inserting a DVD, but I can't do that either. The audio is usually OK, but the video is just a series of still pictures, and then soon it freezes altogether.

I brought this to a tech guy a few months ago, and he re-installed Windows, and when I brought it home, all the same problems were there. 

I have XP Professional pack 3, and only use my laptop at home, plugged in with the adaptor.

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 6 (636 Views)

Re: Continuous freezing, can't play DVDs

What dvd player software is on the system? Maybe look into system resource to make sure you still have enough free disk space and memory size meets the DVD player requirements. On XP systems after a few years of usage, system generally gets fragmented, a defragmentation would always help reclaim disk space and improve performance.

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
Katusha212
Message 3 of 6 (629 Views)

I'm not sure I really understand your answer, however, this is the information on my computer:

Total Physical Memorey   512.25 MB

Available "       "       "          55.86    MB

Total Vrtual Memory           2.00 GB

Available "  "       "                1.96 GB

Is that what you meant?

PhD Student
Knute
Message 4 of 6 (612 Views)

Physical Memory is pretty shabby, might wanna upgrade that or use less programs at once.  I think Charles wants you to Right Click C: select Properties and then General and tell us how big the hard drive is and how much disk space you have free.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Top Student
    Katusha212
    Message 5 of 6 (607 Views)

Thank you so much for responding, I appreciate it!

Here's what you requested:

Capacity:        27.8 GB

Used Space: 18.0 GB

Free Space:   9.79 GB

Do I need to get a new memory module? If so, is it something I can install myself?

One last question: are those cooling pads important?

Thank you again!

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 6 of 6 (562 Views)

You can use the cooling pads if the laptop gets hot or if the fan is noisy.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01657439&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_u...

Otherwise I highly recommend a memory upgrade (hard drive looks ok).

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation