Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

hey, I'm having the same problem and I've tried blowing the ventsa couple of times but no change... I've got a Pavilion DV6 - 2150us.. Can anyone help me as to what to do next?/?

HP Recommended

Hi Paddie101,

Welcome to the HP Forums! It looks like your model may have an update for the fan issue. There could still be a legitimate issue with the fan but take a look at the link below. It shows a list of models that gets the 902 fan error on power up. Go down the list until you see HP Pavilion dv6-2000 Entertainment Notebook PC Series. Install the SP48144 download and let me know how it goes.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02066988

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The soulution is sooooo easy! dont send it to HP they might take forever to fix and charge you alot. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BLOW INTO THE FAN AREA REALLY HARD. Its a miracle it worked for mee. alot of debree and dust came out and it just fixed!! hope this helped! :Wink:

HP Recommended

I am getting this error on my HP Mini 210 1000 at the start up and the only option itngives me is enter to shutdown.  I down loaded an exe file from HP that was supposed to take care of it to a flash drive on my other computer and tried to boot it with the flash in the Mini but no luck.  Tried blowing and vacuming ithe vents and know luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

HP Recommended

I'm having this same issue.  I have a DV6 laptop and just in the last few days I'm getting the 902 cooling fan error at startup.   I've tried the power drain thing and blowing out the fan with air.   Worked for one day,  but now it won't let me do anything,  back to cooling fan error.   i've seen posts where a bios update helped , but not sure how to install an update if I can't get it bootup.   Any ideas on how I can get it to boot so i can backup stuff before i have someone try to put a new fan in for me?

HP Recommended

Hi switzman68,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see you are having an issue with your cooling fan. If you have already down a hard reset (power drain thing) and cleaned out the cooling fan then I suggest that you look at getting it replaced. You can contact HP Total Care at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or visit this outside of North America.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi, i have a HP G6 laptop with the 902 error. I purchased a new fan and installed it and i'm still getting the 902 error. The fan is not spinning up once i start the laptop.. It is a HP model g6-1334sa , product code b2y47ea#abu

thanks

gareth_g

HP Recommended

Hi @gareth_g,

Welcome to the HP Community! I see that you are having a problem getting your recently installed fan to work. Try restoring your BIOS to defaults this will force it to look at the computer checking for hardware and it should hopefully pick up the fan at that point. The computer may have turned off the fan to prevent damage and doesn't know that the new one is installed. There is a section Reloading the BIOS default settings in his HP document BIOS Setup Utility Information and Menu Options that will show you how do it.

If that doesn't work you could be looking either a problem with your power (slim chance) or the system board or motherboard itself (more likely) and you should have someone take a look at the hardware. You can contact HP Total Care at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or start here if you live outside of North America.

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with HP Mini 210-1012 : Cooling fan error (902), forced shut down.

Although the fan was working properly...

My solution : I removed CMOS battery for a while, to provoke BIOS reset.

Then, it worked again !

HP Recommended

Hi,i reset the BIOS and nothing happened. Then i reopened the laptop and checked all the connections and put it back together again. It then found the fan and worked fine.

On Friday the error returned, but only intermittently. Is it possible that i need to clean CPU/GPU and heatsink?

It's the one thing i didn't do when i replaced the fan.

Is it possible that it's giving intermittent faults as there is intermittent loss of contact between the chip and the heatsink?

thanks

Gareth

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.