Question

Honor Student
minytrker
Message 1 of 10 (1,992 Views)

Cursor freezes pavilion dm1

My laptop keeps freezing when in hotter inviroments on battery. I have it set to maximum battery life and lowest performance. It only does this when its hot. I dont think the fans are working properly. What should I check? I need it fixed ASAP.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 2 of 10 (1,990 Views)

Re: Cursor freezes pavilion dm1

First thing to do is vacuum or use a can of compressed air in the reverse direction of the normal air flow. Dust/lint/hair can build up on the inside of the heatsink near the fan blades. Buy and use a notebook cooling pad. Do not block the intake air vents with soft materials or your body. In the extreme cases we will remove the case and heatsink and put on a good grade of thermal paste like Artic Silver 5 and possibly a copper shim on the video chip to replace the thermal pad if it has one.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Honor Student
minytrker
Message 3 of 10 (1,989 Views)

Laptop is new like brand still, I pulled off back cover there is zero dust in the laptop or in the fan. The fan never fells like it ever runs. I use it on a laptop cooling pad or on a hard wooden desk. I have 5 other laptops and this one is the only one (also only new one) that keeps freezing and getting hot.

Honor Student
minytrker
Message 4 of 10 (1,988 Views)

Also has latest bios and all lates updates

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 5 of 10 (1,975 Views)

Check out this review and take special note of the heat section:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-pavilion-dm1-4010us-late-2011.aspx

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Honor Student
minytrker
Message 6 of 10 (1,965 Views)

not sure how that helps with my computer freezing

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 7 of 10 (1,953 Views)

The article was suggesting that it did run a bit hot. I would go into your power settings for running on battery and increase the fan activity. Your goal will be to not turn off the fan or try to save any energy with autosensing. Look for options that don't maximize battery life but maximize cooling. Buy a notebook cooling fan and use it. Try a household fan blowing directly on it if you don't want to use up battery life.

Student
jaime10rojas
Message 8 of 10 (1,889 Views)

I think he is thinking about another problem and not really heard this one before. My brand spanking new laptop began doing this on my wife recently. I think it may have something to do with overloading your pointer device. She holds her finger dragging it across and I think that freezes it. Although I am not completely sure, I would like to know exactly what the problem is. The little yellow light in the top left corner of the cursor pad turns on, and you can not click nor move the pointer. You can press anything else on the keyboard and it will work. I press the Windows button and the start menu pops up normally. Please, if you know exactly what the issue is, I would greatly appreciate it. I just got this brand new laptop this past week and already having problems. Thats not a great start. I do have the same exact dm 1 model.

Student
rosscunningham0
Message 9 of 10 (1,837 Views)

I believe I have just fixed this issue!

Had the same problem, this is a brand new laptop my boss got me to do all my work on at the office, when I travel and at home. Cursor and whole laptop would freeze all the time. When it happens I have had to close my computer to get it to sleep, wait a few minutes then open it again to get it to restart and work. Used to happen every 5 minutes or even more sometimes, incredibly frustrating!

I went into control panel > system and security > find and fix problems

I then clicked on "Check for performance issues" under System and Security. Didn't take long at all and it lead my laptop to inform me it was automatically opening and running a whole bunch of un-neccessary programs apon start up. I'm talking like 20+ different HP related programs and other random crap no one needs. I un-ticked EVERYTHING! So nothing ran automatically on start up anymore and restarted my laptop. I have been working away for hours now without a freeze. Fingers crossed it never happens again!

Student
thered46
Message 10 of 10 (1,633 Views)

I went into system security unticked like you said, took 2 minutes . computer seems to work fine . courser dosnt freeze on the web. thanks :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation