Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, my Pavilion DV4 is not booting. After I press the power button I get a blank screen and the leds blink for ever...

1. Product Name and Number
     • HP Pavilion DV4

2. Operating System installed 
     • Windows 7 64-bit

3. Error message 
     • Caps lock and bloq num leds keep blinkin (the pattern doesn't match any of the listed issues in the error code list) 

4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
     • None. Normal use before this issue.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry to say, but I think you're right - that's pretty much ruled everything out apart from a fault on the Motherboard.

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's always worth trying a Hard Reset as follows.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if the notebook will start.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Thanks David! I still have the same blinking led pattern.
Why don't they match the standard error codes? Does this mean a total meltdown?? 😞

Any other idea?
HP Recommended

Hi,

There's something else I'd like to try.

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of dv4 series notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
# Product: WJ869LA#ABM
# Model: dv4-2116la
# Serial: CND017130P
HP Recommended

Hi,

First of all, with reference to your Maintenance & Service Guide follow the procedure starting on Page 54 to remove the RTC battery.  When done, hold down the Power button for 30 seconds and then leave the notebook for 10 minutes before re-connecting the RTC battery.

See if the notebook will now boot.

If it still shows the same 'blink' error on starting and you have more than one Memory Module installed, try the following - if you only have 1 module, try it in the other available slot.

With reference Page 52 of the above Manual, remove one of your memory modules and then see if the notebook will boot.  If it doesn't, try the same module, but in the other slot.  If is still doesn't boot, try the other memory module in both slots, to see if any combination will allow the notebook to start.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I just finished trying what you said (including all possible combinations with the 2 ram modules) and the led pattern remains.

Any other idea?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

It's worth removing the WLAN Module and see if the notebook will boot without this hardware present - the procedure is detailed starting on Page 59 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Done... but no success 😞

Today I spoke with hp support and they told me it's either the hard drive or the motherboard.

Any other thing I should try?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

I would have to say, that this does not look like an issue with the Hard Drive.  It does however look like some component of the Motherboard has failed.

You can rule out a problem with the Hard Drive as follows.

Remove the Hard Drive from your notebook - the procedure is detailed starting on Page 50 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Using another PC, follow the procedure on the link below to create a bootable Ubuntu CD and then follow the steps in Part 3 to 'Try it' to see if this OS will run on your notebook.  The 'Try it' option runs the OS from the CD without the need to install on your HDD

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Let me know if this will run.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.