Re: DV6 1268NR, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, random shut down (550 Views)
Honor Student
1mapc
Message 1 of 3 (563 Views)

DV6 1268NR, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, random shut down

Computer randomly shuts down and temperature is not above 63c. After the computer shuts down, it will not restart until it sits for about 20+ minutes. This issue started the day after the warranty ran out, and is getting worse over time. I find that the system runs much better on my lap than it does on the desk. I'm guessing the poorly designed exhaust vent is venting the air down, right back into the cpu fan intake area.

Lately the screen will freeze, and this is causing the system to perform a scandisk upon start up. Problem with the scandisk is that the computer shuts down about 5 mins into the scan. If I direct cold air at the fan, it will finish the scandisk, but I shouldn't have to do this.

Any idea why it shuts down like this during the scan disk, or when windows is running and the temp does not go above 63c?

Local PC tech says trash it and buy a new one, because a new motherboard would cost over $450.

Anyone else have this type of issue with the DV6?

How do I get to the CPU and try reapplying thermal compound?

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (557 Views)

Re: DV6 1268NR, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, random shut down

Hi,

My suggestion is to buy a Coolpad and put it on your desk. It's cheaper that way and you can decide to buy a new machine later.

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
1mapc
Message 3 of 3 (550 Views)

Re: DV6 1268NR, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, random shut down

Thanks banhien for your response. We started using it on a cool pad prior to the issues starting. I will look for one that pushes out more volume of air and see if that helps.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation