Question

Honor Student
LandonAB
Message 1 of 5 (1,445 Views)

DV6910US DVD Drive randomly disappears, randomly will not boot with drive in

I have a DV6910US laptop that has started over the last month exhibiting a problem where the original DVD Drive will 'disappear' from My Computer, Device Manager and the BIOS.  I have tried uninstalling the driver, removing, cleaning and resetting the drive.  Nothing works.

I ordered a new drive from a third party and the problem still exists.  After an hour of frustration last night due to the laptop hanging on the HP Invent boot screen I removed the drive and learned that if I boot without the drive in the drive bay slot, the laptop boots fine.  With the drive in, it's a crap shoot and 50% of the time will fail to boot.  When it does boot, the drive may or may not appear as connected.

When running the Win 7 Troubleshooter it sometimes detects the drive and indicates that 'hardware changes might not have been detected'.    Sometimes though, it just says no optical drive found.

Any thoughts?  Is this a problem with the connector on the motherboard?  I can't see that it's a Windows problem since it fails before Windows ever boots.  I suppose it's possible that my original dvd drive is bad and the replacement drive i bought is also bad but that seems like a huge coincidence.

Honor Student
LandonAB
Message 2 of 5 (1,367 Views)

Re: DV6910US DVD Drive randomly disappears, randomly will not boot with drive in

Next question is, does anyone know if this is something that is repairable?  I would like to keep this laptop another year but am pretty sure that the problem is at the motherboard/drive connector...

Thanks!

Student
tsokhey
Message 3 of 5 (1,292 Views)

Re: DV6910US DVD Drive randomly disappears, randomly will not boot with drive in

Hp makes some really crappy machines. This is perhaps the worst. There have been about 3 different battery recalls for this product. Also the build quality is really bad. The warranty is also too short for such a faulty piece of crap. I have replaced 3 dv6000 series computers and thought It was just me. Please consider purchasing a lower end dell laptop. As they will at least you a year. Also if you choose to send this back HP will give you a referbished one. There have been many reports on these refurbished computers hard disks not being formated. So before you do give it back clear your hardisk as they will not do it for you.

Student
ddcb
Message 4 of 5 (979 Views)

I have had the same issue.  As far as the booting up problem, I would recommend changing the boot order in the BIOS (normally the CD/DVD drive boots first, then the hard drive) if you change to the hard drive booting first, you should not have the stalling on restart issues anymore that frustrated me too.  As far as the DVD drive issue.  If anyone out there has a similar issue, then it's a good idea to find a friend with a HP laptop.  Try switching yours/thier CD/DVD drives.  If your drive does not work in thier machine, then the problem is with the CD/DVD drive, however, if it works, and thier drive does not work in your machine, then the problem is most likely with the motherboard.  This was the situation with mine.  So I had a couple choices, 1) get the computer motherboard fixed (pricey) or 2) buy an external CD/DVD drive for $70 and connect to a USB port.  OK, so not ideal, but I don't use the DVD drive very often these days as I use an external hard drive (1TB strorage for $80), to back up.  The other advantage to this is that I will have the external drive when this crappy made laptop finally goes to crap (I'm not buying HP next time).

Hope that helps!    

Honor Student
ms4278
Message 5 of 5 (932 Views)

I have a DV 6736NR and what you guys are talking about is exact same thing that is happening to me with my laptop. I bet you guy its the motherboard!! i have researched everything online and my own motherboard. Ive tried everything i can think of. HP you need to fix these motherboards!!!! i think its a bunch of bull that your selling us a laptop with these defects!!! You should help us for being such great customers!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation