DV7 hanging, freezing...to those that replaced parts does it now work? (655 Views)
Honor Student
TCBS
Message 1 of 5 (655 Views)

DV7 hanging, freezing...to those that replaced parts does it now work?

Hi,

I bought the DV7-4197cl about a month ago and have been having all sorts of problems (freezing, hanging, speakers squealing) when doing more demanding tasks like Photoshop and while I thought I just got a bad one, after seeing the forum I see lots of people are having the same issue.  I chatted with a rep tonight and they said:

"As per your description it seems that the issue might be due to malfunction of the internal component of the notebook".

They recommended I send it back to be repaired.  I've read through some posts and it sounds like it may be a bad HDD (?).  But what I want to know before I go through all this hassle is for those of you that have replaced parts/had it repaired, did it fix the problem?  At this point I'm torn between swapping out for a new one and crossing over to the dark side (yeah, a mac).  I had such a wonderful experience with my last Pavilion laptop - not a single issue in 5 years, so it was a no-brainer when I needed to up grade; however this issue really bums me out...hopefully others have positive results after repairs.  Please let me know.

Thank you, good night.

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 5 (630 Views)

Re: DV7 hanging, freezing...to those that replaced parts does it now work?

Have you tried the diagnose tests in bios? Should detect memory and hard drive problems. Hit F10 when power up to go into bios, and look for "Diagnose" tab (or something similar).

======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
PhD Student
Knute
Message 3 of 5 (617 Views)

The freezing/hanging I could see being related to a HD or Memory issue, but what throws me off is the speakers.  I would think that would likely be a system board.  If it's under warranty I would have HP service it.  But go ahead and do the BIOS test first to ensure that the HD and Memory pass.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• Honor Student
    TCBS
    Message 4 of 5 (594 Views)

Thank you - I ran both the systems and memor checks and both came back "OK".

PhD Student
    Knute
    Message 5 of 5 (562 Views)

Then it would probably be a bad system board.

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation