Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My laptop's sign in was taking a long time and I assumed it was simply a small thing and I shut the laptop off. After turning it back on, it said 'recovering' something, which I forgot what it said. Eventually it went to 'diagnosing your PC' and after thirty minutes, I get to a blue screen saying restart or advance settings. When I press advanced settings I get continue, turn off your PC, Use a device, or Troubleshoot. The product is an HP 15t Touch. Before this happened, I downloaded a few apps related to games and some for entertainment. I also have moved some pictures from my old computer to this one and downloaded songs as well. I'm figuring that it's because of that, that my laptop is running slow and it eventually came to this. When I'm done with this and when it's fixed, I'm deleting a few apps and moving my pictures elsewhere safe from being here where the laptop won't be so slow. Please help me, and thank you for it. I know that there are posts like this on the forum, but still, I would like this to help me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code for the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the boot issues you describe.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP ( with the 24 character code ) and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shut down the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to enter the Start-up Menu.  Select the Diagnostic Menu option ( f2 ) and run the tests on the Hard Drive and Memory - post back with any error messages that may be generated.

Can you also post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your 15t series notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

HP 15t-r000 CT0 TouchSmart Notebook PC

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=7256005

I did a 'System Quick Test' 

The results I got were:

Processor Check: Passed

Memory Quick Check: Passed (Tested 5.84 GB)

Hard Drive SMART Check: Passed

Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed

Then I got a failure ID and the product ID.

Hard Drive 1 

then it said: System Quick Check Test: Failed. 

I did a Hard Drive Quick Test:

The same thing with the DST Check, it failed.

I did the Memory Quick Test:

Processor Check: Passed

Memory Quick Check:  Passed (Tested 5.84 GB)

The failure for the Hard Drive Short DST Check's ID is: GG5AJJ-76878P-XD7V7G-60TM03

I did the quick scans, not the full 2+ hours scans because that is all I can afford to do at this time.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code for the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with the boot issues you describe.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP ( with the 24 character code ) and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Really?! Oh great...:smileysad:

Thanks for the help I'm not sure if I had warranty or not, but I would like to know how to do it by self just incase, so information would be helpful 

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

Regarding the drive, you're not restricted to any particular manufacturer, however the drive should be the same capacity ( or slightly larger ) as the HDD the notebook originally shipped with - installing a smaller capacity drive than the original can cause problems when using your Recovery Media to reinstall the OS on the new drive.

The drives below are examples that would be Ok ( bearing in mind the original drive capacity ).

500Gb Hard Drive

750Gb Hard Drive.

1Tb Hard Drive.

The replacement procedure is detailed starting on Page 56 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

When done, just use your Recovery Media to reinstall the operating system on the new drive.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I spoke to someone from HP last night. It took about an hour. What's going to happen, is they are going to take my laptop and replace the hard drive and TRY to recover documents and photos, but everything else will be reset. It should be done in about two weeks. Thank you for everything.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it was under warranty :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.