Display is Blank only showing blinking cursor (16624 Views)
Tutor
BratneysComp89
Message 1 of 22 (16,624 Views)
Accepted Solution

Display is Blank only showing blinking cursor

[ Edited ]

Hi There!

I bought my hp minI 250 laptop back in March and about 3 weeks ago it just randomly went to a blank screen with a blinking white cursor in the upper left hand corner. Ive tried charging it, removing the battery and reinstalling my windows program. I can shut it off using the side power button but when i turn it on it flashes the HP start screen then goes to the blank screen. What else can i do? Any advice would be helpful as i am not tech savvy when it comes to computer breakdown. Thanks!

Grad Student
mc713
Message 2 of 22 (16,614 Views)

Re: Blank screen w/ blinking cursor

The hard drive may have failed. To check, turn on your computer and as soon as you turn on the power button, start tapping the F10 key. That should take you to the BIOS set up utility. Press the right arrow key (the mouse will not work here) to get to the diagnostics tab and press enter. Run the primary hard drive self test. If it fails, you will need to replace your hard drive.

If you just purchased the system in March, it may still be in warranty. If so, call 1-800-474-6836 for help getting your hard drive replaced.

I am an employee of Hewlett Packard.

- - Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so others can more easily find the answer - -
- - Please click the Kudos star if you would like to say thanks - -

Tutor
BratneysComp89
Message 3 of 22 (16,609 Views)

Ok so i went through the process and it said hard disk passed. So i exited out of it and it was still doing the same thing... anything else it may be?

Grad Student
mc713
Message 4 of 22 (16,598 Views)

Well, I'm glad the hard drive is good. You said you had tried reinstalling Windows. How did you do that and what happened?

- - Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so others can more easily find the answer - -

Tutor
BratneysComp89
Message 5 of 22 (16,595 Views)

As a suggestion from someone else I used a box that plugs into the laptop(as there is no cd spot) and put the windows disk in that. I turned it on and turned my computer on and nothing happened it was the same screen I'd been getting.
Grad Student
mc713
Message 6 of 22 (16,593 Views)

A box that plugs into the laptop? Is this an external cd drive that you were able to put a cd in? What cd did you use? Have you created a Windows Recovery Disk?

What version of Windows do you have on your mini? Also, can you tell me what the product number is for your mini? You can probably find it on the bottom of your unit. (I don't need the serial number - that's personal information and we don't want to publish that.)

Tutor
BratneysComp89
Message 7 of 22 (16,592 Views)

Yes it is an external cd drive that a cd goes into. I did this when I first got it because I didn't have like word or excel. The disk I used is the microsoft office home and student 2007 edition. As far as a recovery disk I don't think I've made one because I don't know what it is. I have windows 7 on the mini and the product # is:xy940ua#aba thanks.
Grad Student
mc713
Message 8 of 22 (16,587 Views)

Ok. Try restarting the mini and this time start tapping the ESC key as soon as you power it on. You should get to a menu. At the menu, press F11 to start the recovery manager. If it gives you a choice, select something like recovery to original factory settings.

Tutor
BratneysComp89
Message 9 of 22 (16,586 Views)

I am able to hit f11 and choose system recovery but when I do it goes back to that screen. Nothing else happens.
Grad Student
mc713
Message 10 of 22 (16,580 Views)

When your system shipped, it had a partition on the hard drive that held the files needed to reinstall the operating system.  The Recovery Manager (which should come up when you press F11) reinstalls Windows with those files.

It sounds like the recovery partition is gone or corrupt even though the hard drive itself seems to be ok. We need to find another way to reinstall Windows.

In Windows, the Recovery Manager also included a utility that would have let you create recovery media - saving that information to DVD or an USB drive so you would have it in a situation like this. If you did not create the recovery media you can order it. You can place the order online Drivers and Downloads or from 1-800-474-6836.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation