Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

New Envy 15-j171nr running Windows 8.1, all patches applied, including an HP-recommended BIOS update.  Only other significant configuration change I made was to enable virtualization in the BIOS (necessary for required software and one of the reasons I chose this model).  

When I launch Oracle VirtualBox 4.3.12, I will sometimes get a message "Driver_Verified_Detected_Violation" and the machine reboots.  Once, it rebooted and reset the BIOS.  msinfo32.exe reports the BIOS running now is Insyde F.56, 4/23/2014.  SMBIOS Version 2.7

I first noticed this when I was trying Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit) -- seemed to happen almost every time I launched the virtual machine.   I normally run Xubuntu 12.04 LTS (32 and 64 bit versions), which hadn't been giving me problems until launching the 32 bit version threw the error this morning -- bit didn't try to reinstall the BIOS.  

Not finding information on what's causing this.

From system Services log:

1 July, 8:19:16.  Error: The McAfee Boot Delay Start Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.  (Uninstall McAfee and ran their removal tool.  My once complain about HP: using McAfee, the virus software that can't be removed.)

1 July, 8:19:15. Error: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x000000c4 (0x0000000000000091, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffe001e20c8080, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 070114-24234-01.  (I made a copy asap after the last crash, but don't see where to upload it.)

1 July, 8:18:49. Critical: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

1 July, 8:19:06.  Error: The previous system shutdown at 9:49:07 PM on ‎6/‎30/‎2014 was unexpected.

Any advice would be appreciated.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I updated both the Intel and NVIDIA drivers, and that seems to have solved the problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello RichardPM,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on an error message produced by your computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

The first step I recommend is to follow this document on How to perform a clean boot in Windows. This should help eliminate software conflicts by loading your computer with a minimal amount of drivers and startup programs.

I also suggest checking the integrity of the hardware by following this resource on Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎. This should help determine if there is a hardware defect with one or more of the components on your computer.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

RegardsSmiley Happy 

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Per your request: Read the welcome/how to post message and performed the quick hardware test (passed).  Have not had time to do a clean boot, and I will try that over the weekend.

However, I may have found a correlation, and would like to mention this to see if it rings a bell.  

This message seems to appear when I run Oracle VirtualBox.  (I have virtualization enabled in the BIOS.)  At first, it seemed to happen only if I tried launching a specific virtual machine running Mint 17-64 bit, and I wrote it off to a bug in that particular VBox.  However, it occasionally (50-50 chance) happens when I launch the VBox console or an Xubuntu-64 bit machine.  I Googled the error message and Oracle Virtual Box, and a few others have had this problem.  One pointed me to http://www.spotht.com/2010/08/how-to-enabledisable-driver-verifier-in.html

The verifier program indicates that the VM Switch verification is not enabled.  I've not made any changes.

I compared the settings on a Dell XPS 12 running Win 8.1 and the same Oracle VBox software (and, in fact, the same virtualized computer, but copying the hard drive).  The same driver is not enabled.

Does this sound like a likely candidate?  If not, I'll do a clean boot this weekend and continue to pursue.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello again RichardPM,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Since we have gone through the troubleshooting steps I have at my disposal for the hardware, at this point I would recommend contacting Oracle in regards to the error message.

In order to get your issue more exposure, I would suggest posting this topic in the commercial forums, since hyper-v is a commercial product. You can do this at as hyper-v is a commercial product. You can do this at: 

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Virtualization-Performance/bd-p/hp-virtualization-performance-viewer...

Best Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I updated both the Intel and NVIDIA drivers, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.