Question
ENVY TouchSmart m6-k025dx w/ 8.1 & kb2903939 updates
Replies (58)

Intern
flyfisher604
Message 11 of 59 (1,509 Views)

Re: ENVY TouchSmart m6-k025dx w/ 8.1 & kb2903939 updates

[ Edited ]

Toffy thanks for the comment, but I think the problem is larger then just updating the drivers correctly - I believe there is a bad driver or a conflict between drivers.

I have been in IT for 25 years and I took all the steps you described, including checking the version of every driver and the bios to ensure they are they latest. The problem continues...

I have now also had HP and Microsoft Level I support do the same thing. Problem ha been escalated to Level 2 at both HP and Microsoft. HP is collecting more information. Microsoft L2 tech is actively (as I wait) attemping an 8.1 direct install to isolate the problem. I will update with the results.

Top Student
spires
Message 12 of 59 (1,505 Views)

I also purchased this machine for my kid's Christmas. It now seems to be working ok (except the hidden update, of course). So I am loathe to take it from her and do more wiping & reinstalling. Of course, the real question is whether it should simply be returned to Best Buy as defective.

thanks all for the helpful discussion. I continue to appreciate any further information from all!

p.s., when researching the original 8.1 update failure, I see notes all over the web "help Microsoft figure this out". Just supporting my rule 'never accept an even-numbered version of Windows'. I only wish you could 'upgrade' back to Win 7 as you could in the Vista days!

Intern
flyfisher604
Message 13 of 59 (1,497 Views)

Mine was purchased from HP Canada Online. I have contacted them and asked them to start the return process, but I may not send it back if the problem can be resolved cleanly. If it is a hack that I am going to fight with for the next 10 years then it is going back.

Intern
flyfisher604
Message 14 of 59 (1,474 Views)

Ok, here s an updating with the Microsoft L2 tech. Below are the steps he did:

1. He download an ISO image of windows 8.1 - he was using it to do an 8.1 upgrade, not a clean install, without depending on networking. He expanded this into a directory with winrar. He left me with a 8.1 key.
  2. Second he disabled, the Graphics Driver and Network Driver.
  3. He ran the install - it made it all of the way through to the end and then he activated the key associated with the install.

When complete the disabled drivers had been reactivated by the install process. I checked and the Graphic driver was still 10.18.10.3379 (the last Windows Update I got on Dec 30th).

I asked about Windows Update now (there were 17 critical updates) and the HP Assist upgrades (4 or 5). His recommendation was to not apply any hardware updates until HP said they were OK - not sure how I will know that the ones posted are good or not. I said this wasn't very comforting. He pointed the issue back at HP.

We also discussed kb2903939, without much care he hid the update - it was one of the 17 critical updates. I asked about the wisdom of skipping updates. He said it was OK. I pushed and he pushed back a little and said Microsoft Dev already new about kb2903939. He also said, "Windows 8.1 is new and it is going to take a little time to resolve all of the issues with the different vendors." - while likely true, it didn't leave me with a solid well supported feeling. He then asked if there was anything else and ended the call. I was a little surprised he was not going to apply the remaining 16 critical updates, but he said it was a busy day and he had several other calls to get to.

The first thing I then did was create a Restore Point.

I installed the 16 critical updates and then cycled through Windows Update several more times as dependent updates became available. All installed without error. Likely unrelated, but of interest, is that the latest Windows Defender update while it reports to have installed correctly keeps reappearing in the list. This I will need to resolved before I believe things are stable. I see this reported by others who have upgraded to 8.1. There were several reboots during this period.

The next thing I then did was create a second Restore Point.

At this point all of the Microsoft critical updates were installed except for kb2903939, which is hidden, and several HP Assist updates that I didn't install because they were all hardware related and tech said not to.

After several reboots I was comfortable that the system stated repeatedly and without issue.

For a test, since I have nothing on the system, I unhid kb2903939 and installed it - BANG about halfway through the update install I get a black screen and it never comes back on.

I power cycle the laptop several times to reach the recovery screens and I try both Restore Points - both fail with a message that all files can't be applied, so much for a restore point working. This time though I had the option to set Safe Boot, not like during the Store 8.1 upgrade. I did a safe boot and the system came up without issue. I ran Add Remove Programs and found the kb2903939 update and Uninstalled it. Surprisingly it started to uninstall, prompted for a reboot and then completed. I restarted the system and everything looked good. That's where I'm now.

I'm going to pass this on to the HP Level 2 tech and see if there is anything else. Not sure I am very comfortable with this laptop and/or Win 8.1.

Thoughts anyone?

Intern
Firstmates2
Message 15 of 59 (1,462 Views)

Your reply was interesting but for me complicated at the same time.  Not being a tech smart old man I am not sure I understand it all.  I need to have someone guide me through the whole works  in a simple way.  Likely I will be the last one in the country to get it straight and then it will be discontinued.  I am 68 and not dumb but not really able to keep up with it.  Detailed steps are what I need.  THANK YOU.  Much!!!

Student
boomer246
Message 16 of 59 (1,315 Views)

I have a HP ENVY TouchSmart 14-k110nr from the Microsoft Store which came pre-installed with 8.1 and initially worked fine. However I replaced the built in hard drive with an ssd drive and reinstalled windows and after applying the Windows updates I had the same problems described in this thread.

I had a suspicion that it was the kb290393 update and that's how I found this thread and sure enough when I hid that update and installed all the other updates I had no further issues

flyfisher604 if you do find out any new information it will be much appreciated!

PhD Student
Toffy
Message 17 of 59 (1,311 Views)

[ Edited ]

Bommer246

For Windows 8.1 you must update the CHIPSET and BIOS deactivate the Virusscnner for the installation

open device manager Grafics Intel replace the  driver install the old

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-driver-previous-version#1TC=windows-7

Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63377.exe

Intel Management Engine Interface

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63380.exe

Bios F14 http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63979.exe

Intel Smart Connect Technology Driver

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63383.exe

HP System Event Utility

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64569.exe

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&changeLang=true&DwnldId=23496

Reboot

Install new HD driver

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23405&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208...

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Intern
Firstmates2
Message 18 of 59 (1,295 Views)

I am so out of touch with what you are saying here.  So not TECH I am.  I do wish I had your know how.  Wondering if you had all the problems those of us are having?  And then you (with your know how) got 8.1 installed becasuse of your know how?  I just do not know how to deal with all the tech stuff and, we should not have to.  Buying a computer should not be a chore of know how.  It should run correctly like a car or whatever and be taken back for refund/replacement otherwise. 

PhD Student
Toffy
Message 19 of 59 (1,290 Views)

install old Intel HD WDDMI

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/ViewBasket.aspx

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.

Intern
Firstmates2
Message 20 of 59 (1,281 Views)

Kudos got to you after it works.  It does not work Sir.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation