Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, we have an HP EliteBook 840 which we are evaluating for future purchases by our company.

Loan# 1716818

Part # F2P22UT#ABA

We have installed Windows 7 Enterprise on it

Problem:  When the machine goes to sleep, we cannot wake it up.The machine has to be shutdown hard and rebooted.

Pleased advise.

{Personal Information Removed}

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Hello BobJ-Sonus...

...I'm sorry you're having this issue with your Elitebook 840.

Can you provide some more information?

Are you trying to wake up the machine physically (via mouse / touchpad / keyboard), or via Wake on LAN?

If trying a physical wakeup, are you using the system keyboard / trackpad / mouse buttons, or an external device?

If you are using an external device, is it plugged directly in to the laptop or plugged in via a USB hub / expansion bay?

Have you installed the chipset  and I/O drivers from the Elitebook downloads page, or did you just use the Windows 7 detected and installed drivers?

What version of BIOS are you running?

thx...

DISCLAIMER: I am an HP employee, but I am not a spokesperson for HP.

• If you found this information helpful, please take a moment to click on "Accept as Solution".
  • If you'd like to say thanks, please click on the Kudos star!

HP Recommended

I am doing an evaluation of HP for several enterprise customers
I have a HP Elitebook 850 G1 with me on my vacation, and it does not wake up. It has to be cold booted by pressing the power button until it power off. The PC does not respond to any other action.

(I post this here because is the same hardware in the 850 model.)
I have tried pulling out power, USB, Ethenet plugs. but no reaction
I have only plugged in a mouse, nothing else. It is plugged in to the power outlet all the time.

I also have two different 840 models, one with AMD graphic card and Broadcom communication chip (bluetooth and wireless), an I have one with all based on Intel (graphics, wireless). The last model i a 820. I dont know if these also have the same problem. I will test those are my vacation next week.

I have tried to deactivate hibernation in Windows Power options, but no good.
The power option not tried out is to set the harddrive "not to be turned off". I dont know if this will help with a SSD, but I'll find out later.

Hardware:
BIOS is v.1.04 (last)
Windows 7, Ultimate, x64
HP SCCM driverpackage is installed
WIreless is turned off by Wireless button. only using Ethernet
HP Connetion Manager is not started
diskdrive: SAMSUNG MZ7PD256HAFV-000 SCSI Disk Device
Intel SATA AHCI Controller v.12.9.0.1001
Intel Ethenet Connection I218-LM v.12.8.33.9427
Intel Chipset drivers v. 9.4.0.1023
INtel USB 3.0 drivers v. 2.5.1.28
HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor v.6.0.5.1
HP ESU package is installed (MS hotfixes)

Software installed
HP lt4112 Gobi software installed but not used
HP Connection Manager is installed but not started. Tried with HPCM started.
Dropbox and Google Drive installed. (Trouble started before DropBox was installed)
Cyberlink YouCam installed but not used.

Are any other out there with this problem and some answers?
I could not recommend a PC (or several others siblings) that does not wake up after a sleep!

HP Recommended

This PC has slept during the night, and I tried to wake it up.

The PC came up with "Resumimg Windows", and thereafter went stiff. Same symptoms as already described.

New cold boot, and I was given two options. Resume with previous Windows or delete this option with a fresh start. The "resume" failed, and a new clean boot had to be done.

Harddrive (SSD) not responding?

HP Recommended
I have the exact same issue with an elite book 840. When I install the Intel chipset the system immediately freezes. When I reboot it says welcome and it freezes at the Welcome screen I can't get any further. Any suggestions or any updates to the Intel chipset that may help us,?
HP Recommended
just to clarify this the chipset I'm installing this for the Intel I 218 - LM Ethernet drivers
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my 840. I am running Windows 8 and sometimes I get a message about recovering crash data before the computer restarts. I have been trying to get a picture of this but I haven't been ready when the message pops up.

HP Recommended

I have the same proble with newest BIOS 01.08 and tried different versions of chipset or GPU drivers.

After contacting HP support, I've got the answer to bring it to any HP Service Partner. I have 10 notebooks with same problem.

Any update on this topic?

HP Recommended

I found the solution on this page:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/HP-Elitebook-850-Black-screen-after-slee...

It is the same for 840 G1 as it is for 850 G1.

Resolution:

Download an older version of the driver, currently it is 10.18.10.3316

That one is approved by HP.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with an EliteBook 850 G1. 

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bits and installed the graphic driver from the HP Support center to downgrade it. 

The fix worked only once. After that the same problem occurred: the screen stay blank after the sleeping mode and only and you have to hard reboot.

Please advise !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.