Question

Honor Student
st0kes
Message 1 of 24 (7,295 Views)

Elitebook 8440p display freezing

I have a bug on the Elitebook 8440p which doesn't seem to be reported anywhere else. Myself and a few colleagues got these machines to replace aging hp nc6400 laptops a few weeks ago, and they came with Windows 7 professional installed. A few of us used the factory installed image, and a few built from the Windows 7 disk. We all have a bug where the display will freeze for 2-3 seconds, randomly, it can happen several times per day. At first I thought it was just the mouse pointer getting stuck, but it is in fact the whole display which pauses. It seems to happen more on gpu intensive operations such as viewing the thumbnail previews on the Windows 7 taskbar. Turning off Aero themes and running in basic graphics mode seems to help. I've updated the BIOS and graphics card driver to the very latest. Is there anybody else with this issue or could this be specific to my environment?

Honor Student
st0kes
Message 2 of 24 (7,270 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8440p display freezing

bumping the topic ...

Are there any other elitebook 8440p owners here who can respond to the above?

Student
W1ckd
Message 3 of 24 (7,241 Views)

Hi there I am also experiencing this exact same issue as described above.

Very annoying... :smileysad:

Student
lexkey
Message 4 of 24 (7,182 Views)

I have the same problem on my laptop, even worse. I bought my 8440p about couple of weeks ago. It was supplied with pre-installed Windows 7 x64 Pro Rus (I'm from russian-speaking country). I installed Windows 7 x64 Ent En (I have the license one) and realized that when there are resource-intensive operations in the system my display is freezing on 2 or even 3 minutes (it depends)! It's terrible because this happens in the most inconvenient moment I can do nothing with it. Sometimes I can't use my machine at work due to this problem. And this is after I spent about 1700$!!

I tried everything, from updating BIOS and OS to reinstalling HP applications, but I got nothing.

What about support team. Are they going to eradicate this bug??

Student
Innoiris
Message 5 of 24 (7,086 Views)

UP!

My company just bought 2 8440p (with Windows 7-pro FR) and both of them have random 2-3s display freezes.

It can happens 5 times per day.

I have updated my computer with HP Support Assistant but nothing changes.

Could support team answer if HP is trying to fix this bug?

Student
us-pata
Message 6 of 24 (7,080 Views)

We have the same issue in my company in Norway.

Any solution yet?

We also have problems with the computer not being able to start properly if shut down in the docking, and then undocked, then powered on.

Drivers don't work, and QLB fails + system is unresponsive / slow.

Honor Student
stimmerman
Message 7 of 24 (7,007 Views)

I registered for this problem only, I am having the same problem.

Specs:

8440p core i5, 6GB ram, 128GB SSD, Win 7 ultimate x64, up2date and the latest drivers from hp.com.

I am also having the unresponsive hungs for about 20 seconds or so?!

HP has to respond to this.

Honor Student
stimmerman
Message 8 of 24 (6,946 Views)

*BUMP*

Can someone from HP respond to this thread? Give us some information?

Student
villeman93
Message 9 of 24 (6,904 Views)

Hi,

Here comes another user with the same symptoms on a brand new 8440P. HP needs to respond ASAP!

Student
boonkeatgan
Message 10 of 24 (6,829 Views)

I am facing the same problem, i have about more then 10 laptop deployed to end user and the problem is quite annoying.

The Spec of 8440p my company using are :-

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M520 @ 2.4GHz

4GB RAM

Is there anyone have the solution or HP Suppose to get back on this issue?

Seem like this forum is dead and i don't see any Mod reply on this thread :smileysad: ..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation