Question

Tutor
alexei
Message 1 of 6 (4,549 Views)
Accepted Solution

Elitebook 8730w Keyboard & Touchpad hangs

When I'm working, typing the keyboard and touchpad hangs. The only thing i can use is the usb mouse.

after logging off and logging back in, I can use the keyboard and touchpad again(once I needed to restart, because loggin and logging off didn't help). It happened with Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit and 64 bits. I have done all the updates, and HP updates also

I have let HP Dealer for my country to check things out, they say the hardware is okay, but the only thing i did not let them use the harddrive, due to confidential data on it. But my problem is that it looses connectivity at random, sometimes after 45 minutes or after 4 hours. Sometimes the laptop freezes during usage of the laptop. I need to do a hard reset(holding the power button for 20 seconds).

I have started Windows without start up programs to no avail. does the same. Does someone has a solution or know what is causing this?

I'm using: McAfee antivirus, windows firewall, Toad 9.01, MS OFFICE, ssh programs, FTp programs.

Another colleague has the same laptop with the same operating system on it. with the same antivirus, and he does not have this problem.

Did someone encounter this problem also?

Tutor
alexei
Message 2 of 6 (4,506 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8730w Keyboard & Touchpad hangs

I have found a possible solution. need to monitor it for a couple of days

What was causing that Windows looses connectivity with the keyboard and touchpad was the NVIDIA video card driver with all its sub applications drivers. I have installed new drivers for windows 7 from the official NVIDIA website and this was causing the keyboard and touchpad hangs. I have to monitor it for a couple of days more, since 3 days I did not encounter this problem anymore.

I have deinstalled the NVIDIA drivers, and installed the drivers of the NVIDIA driver from the HP website(recommended). And now it is working like it should. no keyboard hangs anymore.

I will post another reply if I encounter the problem again!

Student
LAVERN
Message 3 of 6 (4,482 Views)

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM BUT, IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN AM USING WINDOWS 7 AND I HAVE NORTON ANTI- VIRUS

Honor Student
lakylakeside
Message 4 of 6 (3,643 Views)

my hp hd x16 after i left it for 3 day, ut it on and the keyboard and all the ports are not responding. does any one has any idea about what is going on with my notebook

Honor Student
grzegorzslomka
Message 5 of 6 (3,077 Views)

Would you be so kind and post link to that nVIDIA driver from HP? It seems that it is what I need. I bought nVIDIA video card and since then keyboard freezes occasionally. I tried to look it up but can't find it. Thanks!

Honor Student
HPEnvy
Message 6 of 6 (2,243 Views)

Hello,

I have an HP Envy that is about 6 months old.  Over the last 30 days or so I've had a problem with the keyboard and touchpad mouse not working.

Below is what I posted as the problem.  Could this be a problem associated with the NVIDIA?

=========================
I have an HP Envy laptop and over the last month or so my keyboard and built in mouse do not work when the laptop gets to the login screen.

If I l close the laptop and reopen it then the keyboard works but not the built in mouse.

I have seen many online communities solutions on this problem but they are all in technical terms. If it a BIOS I have no idea what this means.

I need a solution in laymen's terms, please.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation